Down with Linux

Gowator

well, as you can see www.hotmail.com (that server) has used windows since April 2001 and law10 has been on it since 2000

as for other servers in the hotmail system, well, you'd have to pick them out one by one and check their stats.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this suggest from the register link I posted.

But a Microsoft spokesperson told Reuters yesterday that Hotmail is the only Microsoft system that runs on U**x, and that the migration is still in progress. A check with Netcraft shows that Hotmail's front edge servers do indeed run Windows 2000, so Microsoft can faithfully claim that the "web site runs Windows", as it did yesterday. But the infrastructure is still stored on BSD kit. How much we're not sure, but when we receive hard numbers, we'll tell you.

See, no FUD

Come on. The owner of this thread invited people to probe the Hotmail server to see that Hotmail is hosted on BSD. Hotmail is not hosted on BSD, and quoting a million articles from 1999 isn't going to change that. Don't get me wrong, I use Linux exclusively. FUD, even against Microsoft, is still FUD.

What would you say if MS claimed that Windows Server 2003 is better than Linux because of bugs in Redhat 5.0?

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=...w10.hotmail.com

gives me:

FreeBSD  Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  28-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.2.6  27-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  24-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.2.6  22-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  19-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.2.6  18-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  15-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.2.6  13-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)  5-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail   

FreeBSD  Apache/1.2.6  3-Jul-2003  64.4.14.23 MS Hotmail 

Quick edits:

Checked tymes link which goes to 10.64.14.250 NOT 10.64.14.23

It appears M$ are the ones hiding behind FUD and building smoke and mirrors on this but like I said that isn't the prupose of this thread!!

static:

Oracle 9i is 'marketed' as a web development platform. In actual fact they are planning to migrate and the speech given by Larry Ellison actually gave a programme. I guess the paid forthe machines already so they are just phasing them out.

The whole of 9i is marketed towards their Web solution with jsp and its nice (but heavy).

Actually the aim of the thread was to let people know there are other real OS's apart from Linux. I don't personally run any of them right now but that doesn't mean (as I sometimes get the impression) that it's only win$ and Linux out there.

As is pointed out the front side pages have been converted to make it appear the infrastructure runs on IIS but that is like sticking a caddy badge on your Mazda 323.

Quick edits:

Checked tymes link which goes to 10.64.14.250  NOT 10.64.14.23

just because it's a different server doesn't mean it doesn't count ;-). Yes, they are using FreeBSD somewhere, but my point was simply that they aren't using it everywhere...

It appears M$ are the ones hiding behind FUD and building smoke and mirrors on this...
We like to pick on MS a lot but the fact remains that they are an IT corporation just like others, and they are going to us what works. If that's FreeBSD, so be it! :-P And maybe they aren't hiding behind smoke and mirrors, maybe they just know that FreeBSD is good for the internal high-demand systems. Please point out sometime where they said "we only use our own products to run our networks", then we can talk about smoke and mirrors ;-)

Quick edits:

Checked tymes link which goes to 10.64.14.250  NOT 10.64.14.23

just because it's a different server doesn't mean it doesn't count ;-). Yes, they are using FreeBSD somewhere, but my point was simply that they aren't using it everywhere...

It appears M$ are the ones hiding behind FUD and building smoke and mirrors on this...
We like to pick on MS a lot but the fact remains that they are an IT corporation just like others, and they are going to us what works. If that's FreeBSD, so be it! :-P And maybe they aren't hiding behind smoke and mirrors, maybe they just know that FreeBSD is good for the internal high-demand systems. Please point out sometime where they said "we only use our own products to run our networks", then we can talk about smoke and mirrors ;-)

Do you really think that M$ would admit to still using any type of Unix in house for a production enviroment. Yes they "rented" part of SCO's code which I believe was to work on there Unix for Win tools (could be wrong) but they would never admit to using anything but Windows Servers in house for production systems.

That would be like RH saying there workers in N.C. use Windows for there desktops. I doubt it! Or Linus using Windows with Linux inside vmware to do development work on his kernel.

All-in-all M$ has a bad product and I for one don't need it. :wink:

Who said anything about them admitting it? I just said show me somewhere that they said they don't use it at all anymore. If you can't show me that, then you have no proof that they are doing any sort of smoke and mirror deal. You can't be doing a smoke and mirror trick unless you are telling people something different than what is really occuring.

Your examples are bad. We're talking about servers, not desktops. They don't corrolate. MS knows what does the job, and they use it. Besides, they've said before, they don't mind BSD or the BSD license.

And we weren't talking about MS products, we were talking about MS using FreeBSD.....so :-P keep with the topic, boy!

In the past hotmail. did run on FreeBSD!  M$ might have changed it now, but they were running in on Fbsd.  :wink:

Like I said early on, they were running it, that's how I got started in this silly thread. Then I said I DOUBT they still are. That's it.

I really don't CARE if they are or if they aren't. My only reason for jumping in here was to PROVE that they did at one time use it for SEVERAl years as the article from a M$ spokensmen pointed out.

Your examples are bad. We're talking about servers, not desktops. They don't corrolate. MS knows what does the job, and they use it. Besides, they've said before, they don't mind BSD or the BSD license.

The examples weren't all that bad, I was simply IMPLYING that why would M$ tell there client's yes we use *nix for some of our internal production enviroments, but hey check out our 2k3 server product. Don't worry why were not useing it. That in a nutshell is why I brought up RH, how could they sell there product to corporations if they are using someone else's. The example might have been a little off, but I figured you were a smart enough kid to pick up on it. :wink:

I got your silly little boy right here

:cheeky:

Cool down ... it wasn't the intention of this thread ... just a little aside.

IMHO and it's just IMHO.... M$ are fronting their servers in windows but the evidence seems to be the infrastructure is still FreeBSD and Linux. Depending whether its M$.com or Hoar Mail.

FreeBSD is still Opensource and Free! wasn't the quote 'a cancer on society'. or something similar.

M$ did admit to using non Win servers a long time ago when hotmail went down. They seem to use M$ servers them exclusively for Encarta and Expedia if that balances things up. Ultimately they should put their money where their mouths are.

"Buy our server, we'll send our experts to coinvince your general managment and acounting people and fabricate some security holes in your present infrastructure. We won't actually lie, we just say Hey M$ server protects against x,y,z and linux/freebsd/solaris doesn't. We'll just forget to mention this hole only exists BECAUSE its windows so they wouldn't need to plug the hole anyway....". Just look at Exchange Server ... a complete bag of crock and possibly the biggest source of SPAM lists available anywhere. So M$ says buy the new one which protects against these virus's and forgets to mention the virus's only ever affected M$Exchange.

This is how M$ sells its servers but it can't convert its own internet to run on them. Sun are a different matter, they support linux becuase they believe its the right choice for their customers. If they have an outstanding support contract with SUN so what.... they aren't selling linux, just endorsing it and using it internally becuase its cheaper.

WHY DID I DO THIS THREAD ..

Well, it wasn't to knock M$, or linux - even with the title .. hehe.

The idea was to educate a few people that Linux is great but not the only OS apart from windows.

Linux is unique in its development splits; something DOlsen pointed out in another thread but I don't think is a bad thing. FreeBSD is more tightly controlled but is no-where near as popular as Linux.

It lookks like if Linux were controlled as well as FreeBSD it would be unstoppable but I don't believe it. I think it would stifle it.

Some parts of FreeBSD are superior to linux, noticably the TCP/IP stack YET Linux is more popular. Debian is farly tightly controlled and a very stable linux but it isn't the most popular. Its illogical and only touched on by Raymonds papers on OpenSource but that is what makes linux ....well linux.

All I was hoping from this thread was get some comments like Hey BeOS is also great but not free and Mac's work really well.

blah, blah, blah blah, blah.

just don't accuse MS of doing some sort of smoke and mirrors jobby when they aren't, that's all I'm saying. Not that I like MS, but we don't need to pick on them for using what works. If you were trying to sell a product, would you openly admit that this other product was better than yours for a certain task? I certainly hope not, 'cuz you'd be out of business really fast!

I picked up on the example, but since it was a tad off, I thought I'd point it out.

Gowator: the cancer quote was about the GPL, all BSDs are under the BSD license, which MS doesn't mind. I have yet to see any proof that they are running Linux anywhere (not that I have any doubt in my mind that they do run it somewhere). And sorry that we hijacked your thread.

I'm cool, I was kidding and I believe tyme was too.
unless i'm say i'm not kidding, i'm usually kidding.

accept when i'm not kidding, and when i'm not kidding, you'll know. it doesn't happen often ;-)

Ok, so back to the thread ...

Anyone out there using any OS's apart from Linux and windows...???

What do you like/dislike relative to Win$ and Linux..??

Anyone check out the links ??

Reason I brought this up is I got a copy of FreeBSD last week.

Dying to give it a go but I divested of everything but production machines a couple of weeks ago ..It struck me that its been a long time since i played with anything else and I wondered for instance if the new BeOS is really as good as it looks ... if expensive!