Down with Linux

Gowator

Or:

Now I have your attention some alternatives to Linux.

Why ????????

Well, A few people seem to have decided after switching from windows that Linux is the worlds best OS but such a thing doesn't exist.

There are lots of Os's out there practically ALL of them better than windows so i thought it educational to point this out.

There are three groups so far as Im concerned but please ad if you like.

First off are the Quick and Dirty Operating system clones of offshoots.

These are the DOS derivatives and such and don't really deserve to be called OS's.

Then theirs the UNIX derivatives. All of these are good OS's and have different strengths and weaknesses. Reasons to use or not are personal preferences/financial. I include not using SCO as a personal preference here :-)

UNIX derivatives include the propretry UNIC'es such as solaris, AIX, IRIX, HP-UX etc but also non-prop x86 capable OS's.

Solaris for instance is available for x86. For free the last time I looked.

but there are other's too.

FreeBSD and BeOS being examples.

BeOS has just been resurrected. Apple used it as a basis for OS/X and Yellow Tab are now selling a x86 revamped version. http://www.yellowtab.com/products/

FreeBSD is also still alive and well. It is known for its amazing TCP/IP stack which is far superior to Linux for millions of simultaneous connections. http://www.openbsd.org/

This makes it the OS of choice for Yahoo and even Hotmail (you don't think M$ eat their own dog-food do you)

Anyway, the point is these other OS's are not all evil, they deserve looking at before you decide Linux is the best just because its the first you tried after windows. Its good to be aware of them even if you go back to linux :D

Others: VAX VMS ... Ohh those heady days with VT100's ...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odd mistake, nothing like it for a quick response ...

(pretends it was deliberate has anyone noticed)

Seriously, some of our younger members should have a look.

And for some serious FUN.

Guess which OS is used for microsoft.com

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=...a.microsoft.com

I was saving this for later but I'm just impatient :D

But the first page is just the redirector to the rest.

Its quite interesting to do a seach on .microsoft.com and just go through some of their mirrors and localisation sites.

i.e. .hotmail.com (free BSD)

Oracle, despite backing linux as their development OS still run solaris.

IBM still run AIX....

AND lets not forget

The site www.mandrakeusers.org is running Apache on Linux.

Solaris for instance is available for x86. For free the last time I looked.

Last I checked x86 isn't free. SPARC is free, but not the x86 version. At the worst though it's only around $20, not bad I run a beta of it under vmware. But I like my sparc version.

Mine was 20 $ postage which seemed reasonable since they fedex'd 3 cd's in a huge box ????

Actually solaris 7 (intel) is what got me into Linux.

I had a new job abnd installed it to learn Solaris quickly but the graphics support was ugggh.... In the end I installed Xfree86 instread of SUNX.

At this point I thought what the heck and installed Liux dual boot....

I had it for a while .... then it kinda phased out ....

What makes Linux stand out above other systems is the community. We don't need to resort to FUD to let people know that Linux is better than Windows. Please check your facts before claiming that Hotmail runs FreeBSD.

[blah@myprompt ugh]$ telnet lw10fd.law10.hotmail.msn.com 80

Trying 64.4.14.250...

Connected to www.law10.hotmail.com (64.4.14.250).

Escape character is '^]'.

get cool_junk

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:13:50 GMT

Last I heard, IIS 5 didn't run on BSD.

In the past hotmail. did run on FreeBSD!  M$ might have changed it now, but they were running in on Fbsd.  :wink:

Yes, when Microsoft purchased HoTMaiL (running on BSD/Apache 1.2.1) in 1998, it unsuccessfully tried to port the application from BSD to Windows NT 4 Server/IIS 4 (If I remember correctly, NT 4 shipped with IIS 3 in the first quarter of 1998). Starting September of 2000, Hotmail was hosted on Windows 2000 Server/IIS 5 instead of BSD/Apache 1.3.6. Note that in those two years, MS only needed one Apache upgrade ;)