Konqueror and quicktime movies from the apple site.

Guest turi

KMplayer is just a KDE frontend to MPlayer. It doesn't affect codecs or MPlayer. However, Installing codecs is very easy if you have PLF added to your sources. You could then use the Mandrake installer to search for "codecs", check the box beside the MPlayer codecs package and click "install." You will then have almost all of the major codecs including DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG 1 and 2, and Sorenson. Realmedia is just about the only thing not included.

hmmmm..........so, if i add the PLF source to my rpm find, it will find the codecs in rpm format & install them to the directories that they belong in, correct? if that's the case, i may give it a whirl. when i set up MPlayer, i got all of the various codecs in tar.gz format & had to go through all the manual stuff of unpacking them & putting them in the correct directories myself. learn somethin' new every day..............

Chris

Texxstar? I set up my PLF and urpmis and all that, checked my Mandrake update and no update. I thought the typical m,andrake ftp would take care of that? What's the latest version right now? How do I get it? What do I do to get it setup to get these updates?

correction (sort of): mandrake update will only show you packages that are updated versions of the packages you have currently installed (this can include just normal updates-they don't need to be security updates or bugfixes).

the software installer (just above the mandrake update icon in MCC) is where you want to go to add software.

here's where textstar's rpm's are:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...ontrib/texstar/

i just checked there & it doesn't appear that he has the KDE3.1.2 rpm's anymore. that's probably because KDE put out another update do to some bugs & security issues, so now it's version 3.1.3. texstar now has the rpm's for that. get the KDEbase-3.1.3 & it will tell you what dependencies you need. also, (i just learned this myself) when checking mirrors for the latest packages, you should update your sources first. you can do that from terminal by changing to root &:

urpmi.update -a (to update all sources)

or

urpmi.update (name of source) to update a specific source

you can also do the same thing in MCC by going to rpm sources, then clicking on the "update" button & choose which source(s) you want to update, then click on the "save & quit" button.

Chris

I updated my sources, went well.

I downloaded the KDEbase-3.1.3-1tex.i586.rpm and it asks for dependencies, I was able to get from the same list of that site you gave me: KDElibs = 3.1.3 and libqt3 = 3.1.2-9.1. But it needs two more that the same site doesn't seem to have (arts = 1.1.2 and kdelibs = 3.1.2). They have them but the 3.1.3 versions. which seems right to me but why would the KDEbase want lower ones? In any case, that's where I am stuck now. Did you have these problems? Know where I can get the ones that I am missing. I'm learning lots and become more independant from these forums, but I've yet to get use to doing this the Linux way and step out of my Windows thinking.

turi,

check out this thread, if you haven't already:

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...e33f035f64aa0e0

you need to get those 3.1.3 packages for aRts & multimedia, or you may run into a glitch with having no sound for events. it doesn't affect playing music cd's & such, just KDE specific sounds.

Chris

I think you guys are still missing the point of the Mandrake installer :)

Once you add contrib, PLF and Texstar to your sources, you can install KDE 3.1.3, MPlayer, Mplayer codecs, KMplayer, etc... from fhe Mandrake installer. You don't have to worry about dependencies. The installer will find the files it needs and download them. If you would rather not use a GUI, just type "urpmi <package name>".

Dyslexic wrote:

Once you add contrib, PLF and Texstar to your sources, you can install KDE 3.1.3, MPlayer, Mplayer codecs, KMplayer, etc... from fhe Mandrake installer. You don't have to worry about dependencies. The installer will find the files it needs and download them. If you would rather not use a GUI, just type "urpmi <package name>

i realize that! :D this is starting to get off the original QuickTime topic, but what i was telling Turi is that texstar's rpm for KDE3.1.3 does not tell you that you need the aRts & multimedia packages as dependencies, whether you use urpmi or the GUI software installer. that's the (minor) bug with that rpm. if you just install the KDEbase3.1.3rpm, it will tell you which dependencies it needs, add them, & install. but since it doesn't include the aRts or multimedia as depends, you can't use KDE sounds or the aRts sound server. you have to get those rpm's seperately of the KDEbase package. (at least as of yesterday..........texstar may have fixed it by now) anywho, still not able to play QuickTime movies inside Konqueror, but i also haven't pursued it too much. been busy playing with other things. now, on to some serious drinking!

Chris

Well, I went through that setup, very long process through the command line when you setup a new source, from PLF, so would Texstar be part of that, or doI have to add thm too? If so, how? Because I would rather do it the gui way like Dyslexic is talking about. Not trying to find all these RPMs. But I do get about the bug you are saying, chris.

So now I need to make sure I have my update sites ligned up. I looked at that other forum, that's great. So I'll keep that in mind. Yes. The original thread here was about quicktime. Quicktime > Kmplayer > Update KDE > How to update KDE. That's where we are at. :P

WORKS!!!

Video a little choppy, don't know why and so is the audio, but I got KMplayer working and it has the stop/pause/search, etc buttons. I just can't get the position slider to show up! Any ideas on that and why it is choppy?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. Anyone here havnig better results with a another program, or another configuration to make quicktime as smooth as Windows does it? KMplayer works sometimes (button play is pressed, then it "unpresses" and nothing, black screen), then when it does play, it plays like it's dropping frames. Not perfectly smooth. No problem when downloading it first, but I'm talking about right in Konquerer.