Konqueror and quicktime movies from the apple site.

Guest turi

Seen many, MANY forums no this on the internet. But no good straight advice. So here goes again:

1. Go to http://www.apple.com/trailers

2. Get the message asking to install Quicktime? I use to, but not anymore since I switched the SETTINGS > CONFIGURE KONQUEROR> FILE ASSOCIATION > VIDEO > QUICKTIME > Application Preference Order > Mplayer

3. Click on a movie "link" and click then on where the movie would play (or other ones you click on your size preference) ... and it SHOULD start playing.

...Now, if I download it, no problem, I can play it with Mplayer (except for Matrix2, I get a "0x6134706D" audio codec error, any idea why?). So why not from Konqueror? with the proper setting? My Services Preference Order ("Embedded tab") is Embedded Media Player.

HELP!!! This one problme is really bugging me. I had a nother forum with more problems and had good help there, but this one remains still open. I've tried a few different things. If anyone out there has dealt with this and knows the solution or even has suggestions to try, great! I'm a 2 month linux user. New at this still but not at computers. :roll:

You to install the mplayer plugin for Konqueror, otherwise it can't embedded the player. Actually the plugin was written for Mozilla, but its compatible with Konqueror as well. There is a rpm for the for Mandrake floating aroudn some where, probably either in contrib or PLF. Just installed it with urpmi then run the plugin sweep from the KDE control centre. You shouldn't even need to set up mime types.

sorry, but i don't have a solution to the Quicktime problem, but i do have the same problem with Quicktime in Konqueror, so i figured i'd jump in on this thread in hopes of finding a solution too. i have the Quicktime plugin installed, MPlayer installed, MozPlugger installed. all plugins are recognized & all paths are correct. i've tried viewing Quicktime movies using both the embedded viewer & the MPlayer viewer. when i use embedded viewer, i get the interface for Kaboodle where the Quictime movie should show up. the play button is active, but when i push play, nothing happens.......no movie. when i use the MPlayer viewer, i get a grey box where the movie should be, telling me "MPlayer loaded.........retrieving data" (or something close to that......not in front of the Linux machine right now). that grey box stays in that state forever & the movie never loads. i can view Qicktime movies in MPlayer if i download them first, then play them from the hard drive. just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one with this bug. mtweidmann, where is this rpm you speak of? i don't have ftp access here at work, so i can't check the downloads section of this forum. and, last time i did look there, all of the downloads were gone. (there's a thread about this in the "forum discussion" section.

thanks,

Chris

thanks! i'll give that a try tonight or tomorrow (when i have time) & post back with my results.

Chris

Installed it from your link but I get this message trying to install it...

Problems occured during installation:

file/usr/lib//mozilla/plugins/mplayerplus/-in.so from install of mplayerplugin-0.40-2mdk conflicts with file from package mplayerplug-in-0.80-1.9

That would imply that you've installed another version of the plugin. If you installed it as an rpm I would suggest removing it and then installing the version from contrib. The contrib copy maybe be older, but it was built for MDK 9.1 so it stands a better chance of actually working.

But before you do that go into KDE Control Centre and have a look under the plugins for Konqueror (I think the tab is called Web Browsing) and check whether the mplayer-plugin is actually listed. If no run the plugins finder tool and try viewing a movie again.

hmmmm.........after reading turi's latest post & looking at that link again, me thinks i'll forgo downloading that for now. i didn't realize the link pointed to an older version of MPlayer. i was thinking it was for a Quicktime plugin. (gotta look more closely at things, i guess) i have the latest version of MPlayer with all the codecs. i don't want to go through the setup nightmare that's known as MPlayer again, after getting it working fine for me. that leaves me back to square one.........is their a way to get Quicktime movies to play in Konqueror? or, for that matter, any type of streaming media format (mpg, avi, wmv, .....)? MPlayer claims to support all these formats, & then some, & it does.........but only if i download first, then play. about the only streaming media i can get to work are RealPlayer audio files using the RealPlayer plugin & some streaming wavs from some radio stations. i haven't played with this in Mozilla too much 'cause Moz is slow as a snail on my computer compared to Konqueror. i aslo have some other issues with Mozilla (java.....fonts.....) that keep me from making it my regular browser. (though it does work great on Window$......using it right now at work on a Win2k machine!) anywho, i'll keep watching this post in hopes of an easier answer than setting up an older version of MPlayer in hopes that it might work. thanks anyway.......

Chris

I agree. I'm where chris is now. I would have to downgrade my mplayer then and I don't think it's worth it. Too bad. Stuff like this shouldn't happen with Linux especially. But if anyone comes up with a good fix, then I'd like to know. Thanks. I wonder if Mplayer knows about this?

I think mtweidmann meant that you might have to downgrade the browser plugin, not mplayer itself. My suggestion is to install kmplayer from plf. It embeds itself inside Konqueror and has stop/play/pause/search buttons in the embedded player. I tested with the Apple link and I can view the trailers.

Worked!!!! Quality not as good as on my WinXP, no search bar or pause or things like that. But it worked!!! I actually re-installed macromedia flash player and it started since then.

So, kmplayer, displays in better quality? How would I go about getting that? I don't want to mess with something that works, but I'm here to make my linux machine better than Windows, not just a working OS.

My mistake. I got kmplayer from Texstar, not PLF. Here's the link.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...c-2tex.i586.rpm

If you haven't done so already, you should setup software sources for contrib, PLF and Texstar. It will make your life much easier for installing software. You can find instructions for that at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php#third

Downlaoded Kmplayer RPM, but got the following message:

"kdelibs = 3.1.2 is needed by kmplayer-0.7.4c-2tex"

Am I missing more RPMS?

Also, I went thorugh that urpmi. Lots of typing. Some errors such as "could not make make". But I looked at "Mandrake Updates" and some entries were added. Hopefully that's all I needed to do.

My previous question wasn't answered. Would Kmplayer give me the quality that the Mplayer plugin was lacking?

To answer your questions, the quality I get is similar to that on Windows.

The error message you got means that kmplayer needs KDE 3.1.2. Mandrake 9.1 comes with KDE 3.1.0. If you have a lot of bandwidth and you setup the source for Texstar, the Mandrake installer can update to KDE 3.1.2. The only problem is that the dynamic desktop icons don't work properly with supermounted devices like CD-ROMs and Zip drives. Not a big deal, though. You can make your own static icons.

turi/dyslexic....

when you install KMPlayer, or the older version of MPlayer & install it, do you also have to go through reinstalling all of the codecs that go along with it, or do you just have to set it up to use the codecs that you already have in place? that's my main concern. i mean, i could go through all the codec stuff again, but it would be nice if it just picked up where the previous version left off. i assume that you also have to set up all the video & audio preferences too. or don't you? maybe i'll dig myself another hole tonight. gonna play with setting up some cd cover art software too. here we go again.... :shock:

Chris