MySQLd's mysql table --> problems with MySQL

seantech

Hi, First of all I would like to welcome my self to the club. Too bad that I only just discovered that you guys put up a forum, otherwize you would of seen me on here since the beginning. You will be seeing more of me, but anyway... Lets get to the point:

Problem: Human Error

I was busy with MySQL when I somehow dropped the "mysql" table where all the setting etc are stored. Now I got a friends .sql dump of the table and his contents with passwd changed to suit me, but when I want to add users using webmin, I seem to be getting the following error:

<error>

Failed to save user : SQL insert into user (Host,User,Password,Select_priv,Insert_priv,Update_priv,Delete_priv,Create_priv,

Drop_priv,Reload_priv,Shutdown_priv,Process_priv,File_priv,Grant_priv,References

_

priv,Index_priv,Alter_priv,,,,,,,) values ('localhost', 'bill', '', 'Y','N','N','Y','N','Y','N','Y','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N','N') failed :

</error>

I have found a temporary solution to my problem though. Or so I think. Technically it should be possible to add users using PHPMyAdmin by inserting a new row in the 'user' section (do not fill in pwd field), and then visiting the "User Permissions" section of the MySQL DB Control plugin of Webmin, editing that one user and supplying a passwd.

I obviously added a passwd in webmin, because it encrypts it for me, and I have been too lazy to find out what encryption it uses to find a tool to encrypt for me. I don't really care, because this works just as fast. Although this is not efficient. I think that I am going to try the MySQL admin from MySQL.com out for size.

I haven't tried adding users via the unix shell, because once again, I have been too lazy to find out how to. But hey, this is my second day of working with MySQl. Still no excuse for NOT knowing it.

About the above error. Might anyone be able to tell me what the source is? Could it be because I changed the MySQL root passwd from the befault "blank" into a real passwd, without Webmin knowing it?

Would be cool to get some feedback on this subject.

Sean.

Welcome to our club,

I suck at MySQL but have managed to weasle my through some of my own problems with it. I usually will search google with the error message (shortened version) (ie: Failed to save user) for clues and then search through some php forums looking for answers.

I would give a program called MySqlCC a shot. You can find it here:

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysqlcc/

I had a few bad tables before that this was able to fix.

sorry couldn't help out more and we will see ya' around, K.