UT2003 Gold - Linux Client ON THE CDS!!!!!@#%*(@#*$(!$!

DOlson

Well, isn't UT2003 is basically a similar engine as in UT and since most of the hardwork is done beforehand (making linux client that is) that they can ship linux client together with windows client with hardly a sweat.

Not to defend Bioware or anything.. I am still miffed in not having NWN linux client, but Bioware did do a nice job in making NWN.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, isn't UT2003 is basically a similar engine as in UT and since most of the hardwork is done beforehand (making linux client that is) that they can ship linux client together with windows client with hardly a sweat.

Not to defend Bioware or anything.. I am still miffed in not having NWN linux client, but Bioware did do a nice job in making NWN.

Did you talk to Ryan about that? Does he feel that it was really a walk in the park?

ut2003 What can i say, i love it, Its funny i ran windows for years and never bought a game, (played them tho) been in linux for about 6 months and have bought 5

Regards

Ric

Guest DirtDart

Yeah, I was really glad to see that UT2k3 shipped with a linux client on the CD, not via some internet-downloadable installer.

More native support for Linux the better. I bought UT because it had a, at the time, supported installer via Loki.

As soon as my system is up to snuff to play UT2k3, I plan on buying this, and then sending the Epic a letter stating I bought it only because they put out a linux client for it.

Oh yeah, I'm typing this on a P2 400mhz IBM stinkpad, so won't be playing UT2k3 on this box I'm afraid.

porting ut to linux must have been harder than porting nwn because ut2k3 uses only DirectX in Windows... on Linux it must be OpenGL.

NWN uses OpenGL in Windows too so there are "just" the sound problems and a few os specific things.

Guest ++LinuxPunk++

i dont think i will be buying UT2003 anytime soon... the demo won't even work on my fresh Mandrake 9.0 install. It segfaults after the splash screen. And my hardware shouldn't be a problem cause i built this machine about a year ago with everything top of the line. Anyways, it has to do with libpthread.so.0 or something. I've heard of others having this problem also, but no solutions to it.