how do I cp a file from an ssh session to the PC where I am.

JeroenM

Hi

I have this problem:

my girlfriend checks her mail through ssh on a Mandrake PC. She uses mutt for this.

So attachments can't be seen through the ssh.

How can I get her to transfer the attachments onto the PC where she is sitting (Mandrake as well)?

thanks

Jeroen

only way i know to do this is using an ftp or sftp session....

i don't think ssh alone can transfer files.

ssh if I understand it correctly can transfer files, I think its scp filename destination. But it's been a while since I've done it. :wink:

I did a little looking on google and it seems that you are right - scp will copy files between computers using ssh. However, this is not a simple process and involves creating enryption keys and the such. From a cursory look, it is an involved process for each and every file that needs to be transfered.

The easiest ways of transfering files is using sftp. Setting up a server would at least only be an involved process once.

Cooool, I'm not a N00bie anymore.

I did a little looking on google and it seems that you are right - scp will copy files between computers using ssh. However, this is not a simple process and involves creating enryption keys and the such. From a cursory look, it is an involved process for each and every file that needs to be transfered.

The easiest ways of transfering files is using sftp. Setting up a server would at least only be an involved process once.

Cooool, I'm not a N00bie anymore.

Keys?? We don't need no stinking keys.. Ok seriously when I scp from this box to another the only keys created were the ssh ones which happened automatically. Once that was done it was a simple matter of scp file and where. Much easier then setting up an ftp

scp works. Just take the manual.

Sorry, but it is as easy as this post is short :)

Okay, so if I am sitting on a windows machine using ssh to access a linux box, exactly how do I go about transfering a file from the remote machine onto my windows machine?

Sorry, but I am a little lost on how to do this. (And yes, I am looking at the man page.)

Okay, so let's make this simpler - how do you do this using linux? I am sitting at my computer - Red Hat 7.3 - and pop open a console and ssh to a remote computer, how do I transfer a file using scp? Or does it only work on a local network?

From reading the man pages I got the idea that it was for a local network, but I have been wrong before.

it works over every ssh connection. i know this because we´re accessing our webserver at office via scp... there is a ftp like client tool for windows called winscp somewhere.

scp works. Just take the manual.

Sorry, but it is as easy as this post is short :)

Hmm

in that case my intelligence is as low as your post was short. ;-)

first I ssh to the box, give the password to get in.

ls to find the file

scp and now what?

scp filename ip-adresOfTheBoxImAt:filename ???

doesn't work.

The easiest way is to use sftp. If you can already access your computer by ssh then there is no more configuration needed. sftp uses the same connection arguments as ssh. Once in you are given the usual ftp command line.

get file

copies file from the remote host to the local machine and

put file

copies file from the local machine to the remote machine

sftp uses the same connection arguments as ssh.

So, you do not need to set up a special ftp server in order to use sftp if ssh is already running on the machine? All you need to do is setup ssh and you have access to both ssh and sftp?

Is this what you are saying? Just trying to clarify what I think you are saying.