2009 rc1 install problems

astronomer

I think possibly lilo / UUID has not been properly tested. It would be fruitful to file a bug on this.

Thanks Adam. I have been able to boot the 2009 install by working with my 2007 lilo, but not yet by generating the boot record within 2009, so I think there must be a problem there. I hope to have some time to look at it more in the coming week and will file a bug report (as opposed to a rant ;) ) once I understand what is happening.

I also think people are overstating the readability issue. A UUID-based grub or lilo config or fstab is not at all unreadable. It's just not what you're used to...

I agree (mostly), but old habits are hard to change, even if it is just training your eyes to land at a different place when you look at the file layout.

And please do not think me to be argumentative which is not my intent, but perhaps the term 'readability' was not the best choice - 'meaningful to humans' is probably better.

Strings like...

UUID=ddee4f6c-7dac-11dd-90ce-c7961ac25dfa

LABEL=Tosh_100_12

/dev/sda5

... are all readable, but the second and third are meaningful on their face in a way that the first is not, particularly when they occur in a list.

Thanks for the help.