Hardware issue [solved]

dude67

Here's the section in the Errata about lilo, grub and RAID: 2008.1_Errata

That errata is a bit of a cop-out on Mandriva's side, since every other distro can use grub with raid. Mandy obviously have some sort of implementation problem which stops it from working, and so rather than fix it, they just say use lilo instead. I'd accept it if other distros couldn't do it as well.

I've pm'd adamw about this, as I'd like to find out why Mandriva does it this way and also why the bugs are not being addressed, but giving you an alternative and not fixing the grub implementation.

Supposedly fixed on 2009 RC1. I've been checking tonight by converting drives, but was getting a boot issue. Will clean install RC1 with Raid 1, and see if it is any better this way. If the same boot error occurs, then I guess it's still slightly broken for the Raid 1 setup. Grub will install to the bootloader, just the final part now.

Is there a way to re-install lilo? Yesterday I had the situation where I needed to reinstall WinXP MBR (FIXMBR) and it naturally wrote over lilo. Now, when I tried to rescue with Mandriva 2008.1 Free DVD, the only option was to reinstall grub - not lilo. I also tried 2007.1 and 2008 Powerpack DVDs, but no. I finally had to install 2008.1 again to get my PC dual booting again. The installation went fine and I didn't have to format anything else than root-partition and the RAID1 array remained intact. :thumbs:

But it was a real pain to have to install the whole Mandriva 2008.1 again just to have lilo reinstalled. :wall: Seems quite odd if you can repair grub but not lilo... is it so? :huh:

Yes, you could have booted any LiveCD and then chrooted into your install on your disk, and then run lilo to reinstall it again. For example, if my system had the following:

/dev/sda1 = swap

/dev/sda2 = /

/dev/sda3 = /home

then, I would do this from LiveCD:

mkdir /mnt/mysystem
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/mysystem
mount -t proc proc /mnt/mysystem/proc
chroot /mnt/mysystem /bin/bash
source /etc/profile

now, check the /etc/lilo.conf has all the stuff you had before, which it should, and then just do:

lilo

or:

/sbin/lilo

and then you just need to do:

exit
umount /mnt/mysystem/proc /mnt/mysystem
reboot

and you'd be done.