Questions about MCNLive and Pendrivelinux

LNXlady

I'm trying to get Mandriva installed on my son's eeePC, which doesn't have a cd or dvd drive. The net install had problems with the bootloader and didn't work so I've been trying to find out how to make a live Mandriva usb stick that will let me install onto the eeepc's drive. The search led me to MCNLive, but the one I found looks like an old version. Is there one based off of Spring 2008? Is Pendrivelinux based on Mandriva? What about the All in one version I saw at Pendrivelinux.com? I can't really tell what the differences in all these are. I only know that Mandriva Spring 2008.1 is supposed to support all the eeepc hardware out of the box, so that is what I'm looking for. I'd really appreciate any help you can give this newb.

Thanks for those links. I've checked them but still haven't found what I needed. I did follow the instructions on a link from one of those sites but it didn't work for me so I thought the MCNLive option would be easier and have better results, if only there were a current version. I think my trouble is that my usb drive isn't formatted correctly. Does anyone know what distro the All in One versopm at pendrivelinux.com is based on?

Currently MCNL, PENDRIVELINUX and PCLINUXOS all stop at MDV2007.1

I BELIEVE that PCLINUXOS has an updated Kerneal, but that would be the only difference, personally considering how well and stable MCNL is I'd try that before trying to go the 2008 route UNLESS you want to shell out the $$$ and get a 2008.1 8GB flash. That SHOULD boot right up on your EEEPC.

J

The 2008.1 Flash would probably boot, but it won't let you do an install. They left the install stuff off, so you have to run it from the flash drive. I don't care for PCLinux much. I wasn't sure if MCN would support all the eeepc hardware out of the box, since it is 2007.1 but it might be worth a try. Thanks for the info! :)

I've run MCNL (and still do) on a HUGE variety of hardware, desktps, laptop even the Sony wrist top UMPC and everything seems to pop right up!

let us know how it works!

and actually id dint know that MFLASH 2008.1 did NOT include the install option.

THAT is a shame, and completely VOIS my plans to buy one.

Guess I'll wait until 2009 PWP comes out and see how that goes.

j

According to the wiki at http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandr...my_hard_disk.3F -

Can I install Mandriva Flash to my hard disk?

Short answer: no. The live installation tool (draklive-install) is not included in Mandriva Flash, because in some rare case, the bootloader installation could have erased the Mandriva Flash bootloader. As preventive measure, Mandriva did not include this tool in Mandriva Flash. Long answer: if you feel adventurous, and you can download the draklive-install package from the Mandriva official repositories, and use it at your own risks.

so I guess, theoretically at least, you could add the ability. Way over my head, though, and kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Flash from them instead of making one yourself. At least there was a good reason to leave it out, I guess.

Using an external USB DVD-ROM is surely enough the simplest solution.

That said, a regular kernel will probably fail to boot the EEE properly... but there are specially tuned kernels for the EE for many distros out there. Maybe Mandriva is one of them (dunno, and not that curious, as I don't have an EEE).

Resolved. I never could get the usb intall to work properly so I gave up and bought an external dvd drive, which I really have no other use for after this, but at least I can stop struggling with it. Mandriva 2008.1 is now installed and working fine. I do appreciate everyone who replied.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.