usb_storage problem

viking777

Well I knew it was too good to last. After my euphoria at finding a solution to my ZTE modem problem I now find out the downside.

The line in the script

RUN+="/sbin/rmmod usb_storage"

is doing what you might expect, it is removing the usb_storage module completely meaning I can no longer communicate with any USB device such as my external hard drive. So I now have to choose between having a working modem or a working external drive, and if I want the latter I have to delete the udev rule and reboot - not exactly convenient.

I have tried

modprobe usb_storage

but that doesn't restore it, not sure why.

Is there anyone out there with an idea as to how I can make this a little easier to deal with? I basically need a command that will replace the usb_storage module when I want to use it without a reboot.

Of maybe you can think of another workround?

viking777:

If I remember correctly, you are a KDE user.

When your usb port is working, what module information do you see listed under:

Menu -> Tools -> System Tools -> KInfoCenter -> USB Devices

It might be that you need more modules to be restarted. Just starting usb_storage may not be enough.

The External hard drive is listed there daniewicz but the usb_storage module is not getting loaded so it is not recognisable as a storage device.

Here is some more info:

modprobe -v usb_storage
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24.7-desktop-1mnb/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko.gz

lsmod|grep usb
usblp				  12480  0
usbkbd				  6368  0
usbmouse				4896  0
usbhid				 41440  2 usbkbd,usbmouse
ff_memless			  5448  1 usbhid
usbserial			  30440  0
usbcore			   121932  11 usblp,usbkbd,usbmouse,usbhid,uvcvideo,wacom,usbserial,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd

No sign of usb_storage so no usb devices.

Also

service -f haldaemon restart
Stopping HAL daemon:											[  OK  ]
Starting HAL daemon:											[  OK  ]

Makes no difference either.

For me, if you've removed usb-storage as a module, then you'll probably either have to:

1. restart haldaemon

2. restart X

to check and test, you can modprobe the usbstorage module and then press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to restart X, login to Gnome/KDE again and see if your devices mount automatically. If not, then it will mean that haldaemon needs restarting after the modprobe:

service haldaemon restart

and then you'll have to do CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE anyway so that Gnome sees the restart of the haldaemon correctly.

If you delete the udev rule and reboot. then your USB port is working right?

After you do this, what modules are listed when running KInfoCenter? I thought there might be an additional module listed there that you were not aware of.

Yes, when I delete the rule and reboot my usb hard drive appears again as normal, however there is no discernible difference in in kinfocenter. There is most definitely a difference in lsmod though:

lsmod|grep usb
usblp				  12480  0
usbmouse				4896  0
usbkbd				  6368  0
usbhid				 41440  2 usbmouse,usbkbd
ff_memless			  5448  1 usbhid
usb_storage			91620  0
scsi_mod			  129836  5 sr_mod,usb_storage,sg,libata,sd_mod
usbcore			   121932  11 usblp,usbmouse,uvcvideo,usbkbd,usbhid,usb_storage,wacom,uhci_hcd,ohci_hcd,ehci_h
cd

As you can see the usb_storage module is now listed and that is what makes the difference.

I have to say that I have gone back to the site where I found this udev script and read through some of the comments posted. There is a common agreement that it makes the modem work every time, but there is also a common agreement that it does so at the expense of other usb devices. The writer of the script agrees with this and says that he is trying to find a way around it, but obviously so far he has not. There was one reply from someone who claimed to have found a workround but I tried it and it certainly didn't work for me. If those individuals can't find a way to solve it, there is not much hope that I will!

Thanks for that Ian, I have already tried that route without success. It should work I am sure, but it doesn't, I really don't know why. The only way to 'reset' udev is a full reboot and then I am back to square one.

As I replied to daniewicz I think this is a lost cause, even the writer of the script hasn't found a way around it. I think the answer lies somewhere deep inside the linux kernel, so I have no knowledge of it for sure, and I guess the people that do are a little to busy to worry about such a minority interest as ZTE modems!!

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for all these replies guys they are arriving too fast to keep up with!!

daniewicz, I tried your suggestion above and I combined it with ian's suggestion of the haldaemon restart and the Ctl/Alt/Backspace. Sorry to say that all four together do not bring back the usb_storage module.