Problem with smbpasswd command

dnr01

Make sure that the file is executable and if /usr/local/samba/bin is not in your path ($PATH), then run the command with

./smbpasswd

Jim

P.S. Is there some reason that you're not using the Mandriva samba package, which would have placed smbpasswd in /usr/bin, which is in your path on a default Mandriva system.?

Make sure that the file is executable and if /usr/local/samba/bin is not in your path ($PATH), then run the command with

./smbpasswd

I've tried this and checked, it is an executable file but it still comes up bash: ,/smbpasswd: No such file or directory. I had problems with the version of Samba that came with Mandriva. It may have been my fault but it would not find the windbindd file and I couldn't run it so I thought I would download a newer version and start from scratch.

It's a full stop before the smbpasswd rather than the comma that you typed above. Alternatively, try:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd

instead because ./smbpasswd will only work if you are actually sitting in the /usr/local/samba/bin directory when you type it. Normally though, the samba packages provided by Mandriva would be easier than downloading and installing manually.

I've tried the command ./smbpasswd -a owner in the /usr/locall/samba/bin directory and I get the following message

[root@localhost bin]# ./smbpasswd -a owner
../smbpasswd: error while loading shared libraries: libtalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also I've had problems with winbindd on the version of Samba I have available with 2008.1 Mandriva so that is why I thought I would try a newer version of Samba.

In general, when you have an error like "library <a lib>.so.x not found", be it at runtime like yours, or at compile-time, the right command to run is:

urpmf "<a lib>" | grep '/lib/.*\.so'

This will tell you what packages have this library. Install the one that matches the best.

Next, if you see that "<a lib>.so.x" is not installed on your filesystem, but "<a lib>.so.x.y.z" is and the program is being picky, you can safely create a symbolic link like this, from the directory where this lib is (as root):

ln -s "<a lib>.so.x.y.z" "<a lib>.so.x"

as long as the "x" above matches the one needed by the program you're trying to run; on occasion, you might even have success with a command like this:

ln -s "<a lib>.so.a.b.c" "<a lib>.so.x"

even though "a" and "x" don't match…

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

Indeed! Your command tries to create a link from a file to itself :)

Anyway, if libtalloc.so.1 is in /usr/lib, and the programs claims not to find it, then there's a problem with the program, not with your system.

As for libtdb.so.1, I don't think you have any link to create.

In most cases, you don't create a link yourself. It was just a suggestion for future use when the urpmf-then-urpmi method does not work.

Yves.