Red Hat buys Qumranet, sidesteps Microsoft

spinynorman

Red Hat has bought Qumranet, the company behind KVM virtualisation technology, for about $107m in cash.

The acquisition means open source software giant Red Hat will be able to offer a virtualised platform to Windows desktop customers without having to play nice with Microsoft.

Red Hat said the buyout does not spell the end for the Xen hypervisor – at least not yet.

More at The Register.

Nice, kvm is good as it gives near native performance with the kernel module when it's loaded for your processor. It also means machines remain fully virtualised rather than becoming para-virtualised and so don't need to have a special kernel for it to work.

I'm guessing they will drop one or the other, since you can either have Xen or KVM, you can't use two different hypervisors at the same time. And since Xen won't run fully virtualised machines such as Windows, without the use of qemu/kqemu/kvm I think that's gonna end up being the favourite.

It's a shame though, as Xen is pretty damn good and fast too - just limits you mainly to Linux hosts only though - at least from what I've been doing with it so far.