Started getting "Feature only available with HAL"

roly

I have just started getting this notice whenever I try to access media such as cdrom or usb. The HALdeamon does not start on a re-boot but will start in MCC. I have googled the error and it looks like is happening with various distro's. I tried various suggestions but no joy. :wall:

Linux localhost 2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv #1 SMP Mon May 5 20:55:05 EDT 2008 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.53GHz GNU/Linux

Half a gig of ram and disk is not full.

Madriva 2008 spring

Roly

There is a solution. Run the following commands and then re-boot. :)

1. Login as root

2. cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d

3. for l in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99*; do s=${l#*/S99}; chkconfig --del $s; chkconfig

--add $s; done

4. chkconfig --add messenger

5. reboot

I hope I have remembered everything properly.

Good luck

Roly

Edited by roly

Yes, I've had haldaemon do this to me on one of my systems, and I kind of got around it by putting the following in /etc/rc.local:

service haldaemon start

of course, it could be called hald for you in Mandriva, but in CentOS it was in full like I mentioned. Just change haldaemon with your service name. What will happen is rc.local will run before you're able to login to your desktop. So once you log in, you'll have auto-mounting again.

I can start the haldeamon when in MCC but it makes no difference. All I have done is regular updates. As I mentioned other distro's are seeing it also.

I would do a new install but am on a slow dial-up and the thought of all those updates :unsure:

Edited by roly

The following is reported in Mandriva 2008.0 that has been updated. By any chance are you experiencing this?

Booting issues after a recent update of 2008.0

Try the following command in Konsole: /sbin/prcsys --test S /etc/rc5.d and see what it reports.

Look for an error similar to: WARNING! Loop detected haldaemon -> messagebus -> Ignoring requires messagebus