Kodak AIO 5500 usage

mindwave

All right, I am 99% of the way to getting my wife to switch to linux 100%.

there are a few hold outs #1 is the Axim w/ win2002, that I KNOW will have to wait for MDV 2009.

HOWEVER next is her Kodak AIO 5500 printer.

She LOVES this device.

one touch printing, scanning etc.

yet the ONLY info I can find about plugging it into a linux box comes from the UBU guys who kind of gave up when kodak said they werent going to do it.

But I have a few questions/ideas to toss around.

#1 in trying to get my Axim to work I found that there were a LOT of "tools" available for USB that arent talked about too much. Anyone think that those may help in getting this setup w/ MDV?

#2 The scanner, according to KODAK is a typical twain scanner. Not having hooked it up yet, but also not having had much luck with SANE, does anyonme have any suggestions on getting that scanner to work w/ SANE?

#3 She also has a Samsung ML2010 mono laser printer. Now this printer DOES have a linux driver, BUT its hooked up to a netgear IP printserver.

In my past experience I know I could get printers that no longer had direct drivers support to print if i used an HP jetdirect and threw the data to an IP adderss. Anyone think that maybe putting one of THOSE in line would help with getting theis printer to print under MDV?

Lasty I have 2009 RC2 on her new laptop, and its working pretty well, but I havent spent a LOT of time with it. I'm considering puting it on her linux desktop just to futz with. Since shes not using it 100% of the time it would give me a chance to work on a lot of the "issues" with switching her to MDV 100%. Anyone see anything in 2009 that makes it worth the start now, or should i just give it 2 MORE months?

as always all comments and suggestions appreciated.

j