Wise idea to update mysql, apache, and php?

Guest Gromit

Guest Gromit

Recently installed 9.1 from the cd's. Things seem to be working, as much as this newbie can tell. :)

Checking versions, it says mysql is 4.0.11a-gamma, php is 4.3.1, and apache is 2.0.44. Of course, these are all behind the current best versions the web pages say are available.

Normally, I'd upgrade without even thinking, but the Apache that comes with this distro is special from what I can tell. They call it Advanced Extranet Server, with extra features etc. Am I going to lose these by upgrading? Are the versions of php and mysql customised as well?

Is there any special upgrade instructions for Mandrake, as opposed to the upgrade info they provide on their various web pages?

I wouldn't upgrade until the official upgrade release (or one from texstar/plf)

any other distro I would probably say yeah go ahead, but mandrake take reasonable care in the configuration of AMP (Apache Mysql PHP)

I agree with paul.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken" --- especially it your running anything of value with it.

I personally have learned not to jump the gun installing the latest releases. I have broken quite a few things by doing this. But, it still happens and is a good learning experience to fix it again and again.

Guest Gromit
I agree with paul.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken" --- especially it your running anything of value with it.

I personally have learned not to jump the gun installing the latest releases. I have broken quite a few things by doing this. But, it still happens and is a good learning experience to fix it again and again.

Well, it's a completely empty new system, so there's nothing to break. :)

Seems odd to not patch things asap, that's a habit that'll be tough to break after 20 years.