Gentoo 1.4 ships August 5, 2003 2-CD pre-built

If you want complete control and optimization there is only one true way to go.

LFS!!! LFS!!! LFS!!! LFS!!!

lol. I don't see the point in waiting hours (and probably days for me) to get a system, that is marginally faster.

I'm sticking with RPM and Mandrake and will continue using my LFS. Besides. I regularly install and try software, Compiling all of it would be a total pain!! And if i want to compile regularly used stuff, i'll use src.rpms

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THis is only a guess, but say you order the Athlon edition I would guess that they are using the following flags.

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

Whish is about as safe as you can get and have it pretty optimized, any more editions to that and you could start building a unstable system. That is ONLY my feeling when I used Gentoo alot in the past. It seemed that anything past that and things started to flake out on me.

So in ending, I would say YES it will be MORE optimized and faster than you current distro. Unless you've rebuilt your mdk rpms with those settings. Even then it's probably faster. In the end, it could only be nanoseconds, but still faster. :wink: