Gentoo 1.4 ships August 5, 2003 2-CD pre-built

For all of those wanting gentoo but don't have the time or bandwith this is for you, heck if you just want a copy so you can load up a desktop faster it's for you too! :wink:

http://store.gentoo.org/

Now accepting pre-orders for Gentoo Linux 1.4 for x86, i686, Pentium III, Pentium 4 and Athlon XP, with other architectures coming soon. Each 2-CD set allows Gentoo to be installed without the need for an Internet connection, contains a large selection of pre-built packages (Xfree86, KDE, GNOME and many more,) and includes printed installation instructions. Gentoo Linux 1.4 will be officially released (and will ship) on August 5, 2003.

Price: 15.00 USD

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't like any other distro too. Gentoo is a text install. You are left in a console and you have to know what to do in order to install the distro. No MCC, only the good old console. But I admit it, 18.50 is cheap ;-)

MOttS

This isn't like any other distro too.  Gentoo is a text install.  You are left in a console and you have to know what to do in order to install the distro.  No MCC, only the good old console.  But I admit it, 18.50 is cheap ;-)

MOttS

First I must say it's not that hard to install and second, if they have pre-built CD's, it is possible they have made the install a little more streamlined for those that are scared of using something like gentoo or debian. I don't know that for sure, but I'm guessing they are going to try and make it easyier to install.

I've used 1.2, 1.3(didn't last long) & 1.4 and one of them came with pre-built kde, gnome, mozilla & OOo I think?? So that is something they have been developing for sometime now.

Besides that, I know some dial-up users I believe will give it a try because they have wanted to use it, but didn't want to go through a long process for downloading everything.

I have no problem starting from a stage1 install, but heck I might buy a Athlon & i686 just so I have them laying around if I want to though them down fast. Although I'm hoping they have them for FREE on ibiblio and I will go that route. :wink: <I have to be cheap sometimes>

I am still pretty new to Linux. I have a gamer that I dual boot XP and RH9, a laptop thats all RH9 and I HAD a server running RH9 that I took down and will be giving the kids to use with a Linux distro on it of course.

Anyways I did download Gentoo last release,(it had to be I just downloaded it maybe a month ago) and being very new to Linux (maybe 2 months into it) I had no idea how to install it. I would like to try something else besides RH or Mandy as distros, only I don't out of fear of not be able to install. I would be great if 1.4 was easy to install like RH or Mandy. I don't mean to upset the hardcore Linux users, but that is just my wish. Although maybe now that I have played with linux for a couple of months I can give a try at loading Gentoo again, or just wait for the new release. I use my laptop as a testing ground so I really don't care what happens to it. :lol:

FX

To me the ideal would be all the sources on a CD to avoid downloading - not pre-compiled binaries. I know that they are compiled for all the various different systems, but you can't take advantage of USE flags. Less control over your system - and control over your system is one of the things that makes gentoo cool

I think this will boost Gentoo as a distro. I, for one, never tried it because of the time required in downloading and compiling everything.

But I would try this and it does look quite cheap.... it's probably not going to replace Mandrake though. :P

I am still pretty new to Linux. I have a gamer that I dual boot XP and RH9, a laptop thats all RH9 and I HAD a server running RH9 that I took down and will be giving the kids to use with a Linux distro on it of course.

Anyways I did download Gentoo last release,(it had to be I just downloaded it maybe a month ago) and being very new to Linux (maybe 2 months into it) I had no idea how to install it. I would like to try something else besides RH or Mandy as distros, only I don't out of fear of not be able to install. I would be great if 1.4 was easy to install like RH or Mandy. I don't mean to upset the hardcore Linux users, but that is just my wish. Although maybe now that I have played with linux for a couple of months I can give a try at loading Gentoo again, or just wait for the new release. I use my laptop as a testing ground so I really don't care what happens to it.  :lol:  

FX

There instructions are really good, makes it pretty easy and the froum is pretty loaded with help and several people at the MUB have used/use it. So we could all get you going.

phunni

To me the ideal would be all the sources on a CD to avoid downloading - not pre-compiled binaries. I know that they are compiled for all the various different systems, but you can't take advantage of USE flags. Less control over your system - and control over your system is one of the things that makes gentoo cool

You could alway's re-emerge your system with the settings you want afterwards. I've done that building from stage3 so I could have it up faster!

Well as it so happens, I am busy installing gentoo right now. It's 5:47am and I have not slept yet. I am downloading source files from a 56K dial-up connection and let me tell you..... this is not fun. Any one planning on doing it the old build it yourself routine be warned.... Keep this for a weekend to start the install and make sure that you have your PS2 ready for all the time you sit around waiting for stuff to download and compile... Also buy yourself a big ass tin of coffee..... You are so gonna need it.!!

I too would like to see all the source files on CD's to save with the downloading. South Africa isn't exactly known for its high amounts of bandwidth. So this is aimed more at SA users that all you other folk with broadband, although apparently its a bitch for you too...!!

You could alway's re-emerge your system with the settings you want afterwards. I've done that building from stage3 so I could have it up faster!

Wouldn't that defeat the object of having a CD? You'd have to download all the sources.

The ideal would be the source for everything in portage on a collection of CDs. So I can install from stage one without needinga fast internet connection