Google releases open source browser

spinynorman

I'll never use it. There are serious problems with Chrome concerning privacy and the EULA terms. Here's just a taste, there's more but I can't find the links right now:

http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/go...than-you-think/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/03/go...ome_eula_sucks/

Over-hyped by the "trustworthy" media, should be taken with a pinch of salt IMO.

The EULA has already been changed.

The technology (one process per tab) is very promising. I wonder if this is the way Opera is working because it is very stable here apart from minor glitches.

Since it's BSD licensed nothing stops anyone to use the technology if it's really that good, as ffi pointed out but only a few noticed on the web.

As for me I rather use a browser which is released at the same time to all supported platforms and has some adblocking which is unlikely in a Google browser.

But the question remains. Why did they do it?

They really had no choice, leaving those lines in would have given Chrome a very short lifespan indeed IMHO. Now, the removal has seen it's lifespan extend and the viability and usability of the product increase :)

But the question remains. Why did they do it?
Because they believe in cloud-computing and want to offer the "perfect browser" for supporting cloud-computing. Once cloud-computing is more popular, they will most likely charge for using google-docs etc.

Bah!....