Google releases open source browser

spinynorman

Google is releasing an open source browser called Google Chrome which it promises will be small, fast and stable. The Windows version launches in 100 countries today, and Mac and Linux versions will follow soon. The development team thanked Mozilla and Web Kit for their contribution.

More at The Register.

Now, let me count... I have:

Iceweasel

Firefox

Galeon

Epiphany

Safari

Konqueror

Opera

Dillo

Lynx

to choose from.

...and now I get Google Chrome...

Do I need it? No. And if it is as useless as Googles Office application, then the much better.

Move along. :P

First impression, it is really quite fast, I mean really fast.... but misses a lot of features I need, like smooth scrolling, mousegestures, better tabmanagement (when I close a tab it should go to the tab I visited before the tab I close, now it goes somewhere else), page loading could be smoother (like opera's way of loading) and well.... I'll see...

The speeddial is actually kinda cool and works better than opera's. Instead of adding pages, it adds them automatically based on visits

I've got it installed (using it now)

the scrolling thing I hadn't noticed until ffi pointed it out .. now its gonna piss me off :)

Needs addons .. mostly firebug, web developer, and yslow (are the ones I use)

In all honesty, they'd have been better teaming up with Mozilla in the first place and combining the project with Firefox or something. Mozilla contributed to the Google Chrome project, but why? It'd have been better if they worked together on an existing browser than create yet another one for more alternative crap to install.

Sorry, but I really don't see a need for another browser. Just modify and improve an existing one and combine projects.

Sorry, but I really don't see a need for another browser. Just modify and improve an existing one and combine projects.

Increased competition, increased pressure on the participants to deliver good quality software and innovate quickly to a higher standard.

I also believe that there is a profit motive for google with it's tight integration with its ad supported services, blurring the distinction between a web-based office application and a local office application, therefore collaboration with Mozilla or any other company may compromise any competitive advantage it wishes to gain.

Yep, I definitely am not going to use it after I read that earlier today. All you type then because freely available for google to use, regardless of the fact if it might actually be confidential.

Seriously bad, and that alone will kill off Chrome before it's even had a chance to prove it's actually good. Despite it being fast, that little nugget will stop me from using it or recommending it to anyone.

Well, that "privacy problem" is hardly surprising as something similar was/is already included in the Picasa license agreements IIRC. Actually, I tend to not use google and its services whenever possible (the only real showstopper is that my mail-account is at google since years. Meh...). Google has become way too big, way too powerful and too snobbish for my taste.