Installing KDE3

3lade

Right heres the problem:

I like MD8.2 but I prefer KDE3 cause of messing about with it.

Before I had managed to up upgrade from KDE2.2 to KDE3.0.2 but today I thought I would experiment. Install MD without KDE and install 3 straight, all was going well until I tried to get KDM work instead of the Gnome log in. But now I only have the option of logging into KDE not KDE3 and when I do it just boots up ICEWM.

How can I get into the KDE setup to add KDE3 as a manager?

Most of the activity on this site is about how it will operate, you will get far more help on the other board where you are also registered.

Your problem has been discussed several times there, so please enter kde3 in the search option.

Though with 9 final due out soon you might choose to wait.

There's a config file you need to edit that will let you bring up KDE3. I think its in /(whereever kde is installed)/apps/kdm/kdmrc. If you bring that up, you will see where there are a bunch of window managers listed. just change the KDE to a KDE3 and you'll be able to get into kde3. Sorry its so vague, I'm at work in front of an XP box. When I get home I'll check for sure.

here are some other things you may want to check into in the mean time:

http://www.desktop-linux.net/kde3-tips.htm

You could see the satisfaction on my face when it worked!

It is so much fun this Linux stuff, unlike Windows. If there is a problem normal procedure:

c:

format c:

yes

(Sigh, here goes again)

Linux you can mess about and have the freedom to make mistakes and learn from them (well sometimes)