Problems adding CD R/RW

Leo

I am having real problems with my CD R/RW.

I am running 9.0 and cannot get cdrecord to work, having looked at various websites (including one linked to from the FAQ) I think the problem is to do with the device itself and the scsi emulation not being enabled.

I followed the instructions and added:

alias scsi_cd ide-scsi

to my /etc/modules.conf file and then adjusted /boot/grub/menu.lst adding:

hdc=scsi hdd=scsi

to the end of the kernel line

This did not work as lsmod showed it was not loaded.

I do not really understand what I am doing so would really appreciate any help or advice.

Guest dardack

go into MCC and click on hardware and than hardware manager (or whatever it's called first one in top left corner under hardware) and it will probe, under that list your drive will be listed, it needs to be /dev/scsi0 (or scs0 or sc0 whatever can't remember) not like /dev/cdrom so check that. All i did to change this was make it from master to slave or vice versa from what it was and Mandrake 9.1 automatically put it in /dev/scsi0 from /dev/cdrom. anyways my $0.02

I use lilo. There is an "append" line which would contain switches passed at boot time. hdc=ide-scsi would be the appropriate syntax. I don't know if grub is any different.

OK, I have managed to cock something up whilst trying to get this to work. I think I set Lilo as my bootloader which freezes after the message INIT 2.83 (a problem I had when I originally installed 9.0). I originally got around this by using GRUB instead but I cannot remember how I did this.

Once I get this sorted I will post my etc/fstab file. I will also try amending GRUB to hdc=ide-scsi

Thank you all for your help, I will get back and let you know how it goes

OK. So I eventually managed to get GRUB back (using the installation cd) however I seem to have screwed up XFree86 as the X server keels over on start up. I have amended the CF86Config-4 file (swapping an error relating to the keyboard for one relating to the monitor) I then replaced the file with the sample one provided with the NVidia driver. I now get an error relating to screens not being set correctly. I am considering copying the CF86Config-4 file from a cd based distro of Morphix that works fine to see if it will enable me to get X up and running.

So I am stuck using the command line at teh moment (which must admit is certainly teaching me more in the last week than I reckon I have learneg in the last couple of months using the GUI).

The good news is that the ide-scsi module is being loded at startu so I have amended GRUB to include

hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

and cdrecord -scanbus recognises hdc as a CD R/RW.

So I think I am going to follow statics FAQ reccomendation and switch around the ide cables so I can copy disk to disk and see what happens.

Thank you all for your help

Leo

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I really f***ed something up and the GUI would not work , once I got that back by editing the XFConfig-4 file the mouse wouldn't work (XFConfig-4 again).

I have tried following the instructions in statics K3b instructions but cannot mount the cdrom/DVD and cannot see the CD R/RW. My fstab file is below:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-15,nosuid,umask=0,user,nodev     0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd auto user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom dev=/dev/cdrom,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

Would someone please help as I have looked at the man pages for fstab, mount, umount and cannot work out what is wrong. This is getting so frustrating as I know it should be straightforward but cannot get anywhere with it.

I could not move the cdrom and cd R/RW onto separate IDE channels as the cable would not stretch far enough, so they are still on hdd and hdc respectively.

When you say it won't mount, when you put a cd in the cdrw drive and type "mount cdrom2", nothing happens??

My fstab looks like this:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

I use k3b and never use supermount. Note the order and the absence of iocharset.

Cool :D

It appears to be working, I can see the CD R/RW, and read both CD's and DVD's through the DVD Drive.

I used your fstab as a template and applied some of statics settings to it, I had a comma out of place to start with and then realised that I needed to set up directories under /mnt to match the fstab settings :oops:

Thank you all for your patience and assistance

Leo

edit: even cdrecord works :shock: