My whole system closes down [solved]

Kieth

Check that both memory sticks are the correct speed. Use something to clean the contacts on the memory sticks and put them back in again. I don't know what to suggest to clean them with though.

I'm not sure if it's good for memories, but in some cases a regular pencil eraser is used to clean electrical contacts. Just be sure that none of that eraser rubber is left there on the contacts as it will act as insulator. And best to use a clean eraser (if you have graphite left from a pencil, rub it off first).

Edited by dude67

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I remember doing this with my Scalextric track when the cars had problems going around. I'd get the eraser and clean the metal track to which the cars were connected for power :)

Of course, it was the type of eraser that was meant to erase biro from paper, rather than the one for erasing pencil. This may be a bit harsh for memory I would have thought since it was very gritty. So the pencil eraser one should be perfect I think. I was going to suggest something else but thought it might break the memory modules if it wasn't used carefully.

My fingers are tired. I cleaned the memory sticks, then I cleaned the memory sticks, then I took put them in and out, in and out, in and out, etc. Something is strange, but I really don't understand what's going on. I have 2 memory sticks. I'll call them A and B. If A is in the left slot and B in the right, I get hundreds of memory errors. If B is in the left and A in the right, I get thousands of errors. If either one is in either the left or right, and the other slot is left empty, there are no errors. I have had as little as 8 errors and as many as 10,000. Then I noticed something else. Since I was tired of putting the memory sticks in and out, and since I learned how to run just test 5, which is the one giving me the errors (having to wait only a couple of minutes instead of 12), I just watched the program run test 5 more than once. With each consecutive test, the amount of errors increased!

Since I've been messing around with this off and on (more on than off) all day, a few questions came to mind. 1) Since BIOS recognizes the memory and I would never have noticed these errors if dan hadn't told me about the Ultimate Boot CD, is it possible that these many memory errors have been "around" since I've had my computer? 2) Is it possible that I can keep on using my system w/o any side effects, thereby avoiding buying computer parts? 3) Could this be a motherboard problem (which seems logical to me)? 4) Is it possible that these errors are (or are not) the cause of my system closing down?

Any ideas as to what I should do now?

Thanks much,

Kieth

I need to look around and see what the costs are, and see what I want to do. I've had my computer for several years, and I've already put a second motherboard into it. If I change it again, it'll be the 3rd. I've also changed video cards a couple of times. Today in the ads (adverts for you UKers!), there's a computer listed for €300. It's a Dell D2000C, Mobile Intel Pentium Dual Core E2 180, HD 160 Gb, Ram 2 Gb, DVD+/-RW burner, video Nvidia Ge Force 7050, with Win. Vista Home Basic. No monitor, but I have a nice flat screen that I like (Captiva), which is fairly new (1 1/2 years?). I'm half tempted to get another computer, but again, it depends on the costs.

What could happen to my system if I wait a bit before buying? Would it freeze up completely? Would I loose data?

Kieth

What could happen to my system if I wait a bit before buying? Would it freeze up completely? Would I loose data?

It is possible that you could corrupt files on your system.

As a short term fix, you might be able to make some adjustments in your bios to slow your memory down. If you stressed your memory less by running at a slower speed, the memtest errors could vanish.

Thanks, dan. Another question. Is it possible that this problem has been existent for a long time? I would never have known of the problems if you had not recommended the Ultimate Boot CD. When the computer boots up, the BIOS shows that everything is OK.

Kieth

Is it possible that this problem has been existent for a long time?

Yes, this is possible.

Let me know what you see in the bios regarding running the memory in a less demanding fashion. You should be able to adjust the CAS latency to a higher number for example. There may also be options for speed.

Hey, another question just came to mind. As I stated, I have 2 sticks of 512 each. I only have the errors when both are in their slots. If I just run with one in, would that resolve the problem, or would that be "jerry-rigging" it (old US navy term = putting it together in a haphazard, not stable and possibly bad way)? I think I would rather do something like that instead of reducing the memory usage, which would just lower the chance that I would have problems, but still keep the "danger".

I really don't do anything with graphics. My graphics card also has 250 Mb of memory. I'm just an "ordinary" user that looks at his pictures, writes letters, reads MUB everyday, writes e-mails, etc. So maybe it would be best to just reduce the amount of memory I have to avoid spending any money right now. (I just paid to repair the car last week!!)

Kieth