My new speedy Linux desktop

ianw1974

Yes, this would be OK providing that you're not using the full 2GB of ram. If all 2GB was being used when you suspended, then you might have a problem suspending to 1GB. Unless of course, it's suspending to disk and not to ram. Hibernate usually goes to disk rather than to ram because hibernate usually becomes active when the battery is about to run out completely. Therefore, meaning you don't lose it if it was in memory like suspend to ram would be.

I see, thanks for that explanation, it makes sense that if you are using all the ram at the time you want to suspend then it is not going to work very well.

I've used ram>swap before for s2disk too without any problems. For most laptop use cases it works fine, you'll probably be finishing up doing something, so there won't be much running, and cache's are all flushed before suspend freeing up plenty too.

The whole swap = 2xRam rule of thumb is totally obsolete.

ian: For the raid, a lot of Linux kernel developers advocate using software raid instead. Many of the cheap "hardware raid" cards out there aren't actually full hardware raid cards - they depend heavily on software too - aka "fakeraid". Unfortunately, yours is on the fakeraid list, hence the need for the closed source drivers -- that's where a lot of the work is really being done.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Why software RAID:

http://linux.yyz.us/why-software-raid.html

Yep, I knew about the software raid thing in a chip on the cards, for me though this card is much faster than if I use the on-board sata ports, which is why I'm using, just not as a raid controller anymore - due to problems with trying to get the controller to work if I had raid setup through it.

Proper raid controllers for hardware raid are far more expensive, but this option at least helps me improve my disk performance.

Incidently, I love the software raid in Linux because when I upgraded my machine, I had 2 x 160GB IDE which had been using software raid 1 in Linux. I was able to connect them to the new system, re-assemble the array and get my data. That would have been impossible or almost impossible with a software raid controller. That's my sales pitch for the Linux software raid :)

Thanks for the links, they give some really cool info on what to choose :thumbs: