customising mandrake - a mini-distro

Guest gfa

Ok.

This is a possible method i've worked out.

1) Go through and cannobalize the MDK 9.1 CD 1 removing what you don't need. Don't forget about dependencies however. When you remove a package, edit the appropriate hdlist files (i'm pretty sure these files contain a list of the RPMs on each CD). These are located on the CD in Mandrake/base/

2) Once you have removed what you don't need you can add stuff. Make sure you have a shortlist of what youre adding and dependencies. Add them and also add them to the hdlist files.

3) Burn to CD and try.

Just be carefull about dependencies.

I have no idea if this will work. But it might. Let me know if it does. I'd like a copy.

James

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest seeds

ok - so mount the iso, and edit it. sounds simple enough :-)

also sounds like a recipe to get lost in dependency city! that's why i was interested in somehow getting a snapshot of a working system.

mmm, but maybe... is there something usable - a list of installed rpms - anywhere on a running machine? I know there is the rpmdb, but how do i read that? (not a text file). If i had a list from a working system then i shouldn't have to worry about dependencies....

anyone else interested in working with me on this?

I'll help.

The easiest way would simply to be to write down what programs we want, then their dpendencies. Then we jus put them in a list and throw them in. But the removing without breaking anything willl be the hard part. Again we could probably take the same approach.

James

I'll help. 

The easiest way would simply to be to write down what programs we want, then their dpendencies. Then we jus put them in a list and throw them in. But the removing without breaking anything willl be the hard part. Again we could probably take the same approach. 

James

cheers

we could do it that way, but it just reminds me of the days before urpmi when you ended up with having to find the dependencies of the dependencies of the dependencies etc.

if we had a list from a working system we wouldn't have to work out the dependencies - they'd all be there...

anyone: any ideas how to get that elusive list of installed rpms?

NOObie stupidity perhaps, but can't you get a list of installed rpm's by using MCC->remove software->list all alphabetically? that will only show installed software on any particular (smooth running) machine, of course. but, if somebody gets brave can't you install all packages (or maybe somebody has already done so) then you'd have a complete list. orrrrr.........also look at the "add software" in MCC, then you'd have a list of what is missing on your (or) any given system? it could be a bit tedious, but (as you all know) when you wantt to add a software package (or remove) MCC will give you a pop up box of all dependencies that have to go with that particular item. does that make sense, or am i stepping into something i shouldn't be commenting on?

Chris

We can type

rpmquery -a to get a list of installed RPMs

So what we do is.

1) Install a system. When we install the system, at package selection select only GNOME.

2) Install all the software we want, Only 1 of each type.

We are going to have to be light here, maybe fo office applications just Abiword and Gnumeric? OOo is pretty big. THough it doesn't have many deps.

3) rpmquery -a to get list of RPMs then we modify the ISO accordingly

James

do you mean like this?

Use rpm -qR like this:

rpm -qR -mozilla

(For a package not yet installed use rpm -qpR, with the full file name )

Chris

. does that make sense, or am i stepping into something i shouldn't be commenting on?

Chris

Nope you can comment

What we want to do is install a barebones system with only what is needed and software. We are going to then run "rpmquery -a" or MCC>Install Software to get a list of all packages installed. After that we modify the MDK9.1 Cd 1 ISO to have the packages we have installed.

The aim of this is a Mandrake system with quite a bit of software and fits on one CD

James

Guest seeds

RE: which apps to include on a single disk mandrake mini-distro:

I've found the list of apps that we came up with after talking to some of the groups that we want to do this cd for. First of all we made a list of what the computers were being used for. then we suggested various apps and watched how people got on with them. The question marks (??) mean that there was no clear alternative, or it was unclear which was the best/most popular app to use. suggestions and comments welcome!

wordprocessing - openoffice, abiword

spreadsheet - openoffice, gnumeric

database - ??

cd/mp3/ogg playing - xmms, kscd

email - kmail, evolution

webbrowsing - konqueror, mozilla

file management - konqueror

pdf reading - acrobat reader

website creation - quanta, mozilla

irc/messaging - ??

dtp - ??scribus, openoffice, koffice??

image manipulation - gimp

cd-recording - k3b

file archiving (winzip) - ark

scanning - gimp, xsane

ocr - ??gocr??

fax - ??

video editing - ??cinelerra??

financial software - ??

encryption - kgpg

not necessary, but nice:

monitoring - gkrellm

I'm going to mount the first mandrake cd iso, and take out some of the packages, and alter the hdlist. then see if i can still install from it, and how the changes effect the installation. If anyone else fancies doing this too so we can compare notes this would be really great...

I would suggest you a simple way to do what you want -

Install a fresh mandrake system with the software you want to isntall (not more then that)... It will take you long time to select all the packages from the isntallation list, but it worth it. Then, after you finish the install and boot into your newly installed Mandrake - verify you have all the things you need. then in terminal:

$ rpm -qa > rpms_list.txt

This will create a file named 'rpms_list.txt' under the current location. This text file will contain the list of all the rpms currently installed on your system. Now you have to do some work... Go over all 3 cd's and gather all the rpms that noticed in that files in 1 directory. After you finish doing it - cd to that folder (in terminal) and run this:

$ genhdlist ./

This will create a fresh new hdlist.cz file under the current directory, that will hold all the rpms that are there. From now on - all you have to do is mount the 1st iso, copy the newly created folder with the rpms you want instead of the one that is there and handle the hdlist.cz (put it where you need to put it). About the isntallation - i don't really sure how to handle the installation process and make it show the packages that you've added there, and not the default package list that came with mandrake.

I hope this helped you with something.

Phazeman.

RE: which apps to include on a single disk mandrake mini-distro:

I've found the list of apps that we came up with after talking to some of the groups that we want to do this cd for. First of all we made a list of what the computers were being used for. then we suggested various apps and watched how people got on with them. The question marks (??) mean that there was no clear alternative, or it was unclear which was the best/most popular app to use. suggestions and comments welcome!

wordprocessing - openoffice, abiword

spreadsheet - openoffice, gnumeric

database - ??

cd/mp3/ogg playing - xmms, kscd

email - kmail, evolution

webbrowsing - konqueror, mozilla

file management - konqueror

pdf reading - acrobat reader

website creation - quanta, mozilla

irc/messaging - ??

dtp - ??scribus, openoffice, koffice??

cd-recording - k3b

file archiving (winzip) - ark

scanning - gimp, xsane

ocr - ??gocr??

fax - ??

video editing - ??cinelerra??

financial software - ??

encryption - kgpg

not necessary, but nice:

monitoring - gkrellm

I'm going to mount the first mandrake cd iso, and take out some of the packages, and alter the hdlist. then see if i can still install from it, and how the changes effect the installation. If anyone else fancies doing this too so we can compare notes this would be really great...

We won't be able to fit all that in but we could make 2 versions of this disk, one with KDE, one with Gnome.

Me i'd cut that list to

My shortlist

GNOME

wordprocessing - openoffice,

spreadsheet - openoffice,

cd/mp3/ogg playing - xmms, GTK cd player

email - evolution

webbrowsing - mozilla

file management - nautilus

pdf reading - xpdf

website creation - mozillla

irc/messaging - gaim

dtp - openoffice

cd-recording - a gtk cd burner

file archiving - file roller

scanning - gimp, xsane

monitoring - yes we have to have gkrellm

Oh yeah!! And thanks phazeman!!!!! that'll save time for sure

James

Guest seeds

Ok, i've mounted the first Mandrake cd iso with

mount /path/to/Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso /mnt/iso -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0

and i'm looking around in there. i've found these lists - do they all have to be altered?

mandrakecd1/pkg-9.1-Bamboo-i586.idx

mandrakecd1/Mandrake/base/hdlist1.cz (and 2 and 3)

mandrakecd1/Mandrake/base/synthesis.hdlist1.cz (and 2 and 3)

first two should be no problem - the first is in plain text, the second we know from phazeman how to deal with - any ideas on the last? is that made up in the same way as the hdlist? are hdlist1.cz and synthesis.hdlist1.cz the same?

Guest seeds

Ok - found this http://members.shaw.ca/mandrake/drakx/9.0/...L/section8.html which describes how to make updated versions of the mandrake cds. (ie the mandrake cds but with all the current rpm updates on them). Looks like this will work for any set of rpms, so long as the dependencies are satisfied. The trick appears to be in working out how much you get onto a 800mb CD, since the script will automatically create as many CD isos as necessary.

I'm now building a system with just the packages i want on it, then i'll try to run the script to build the iso tomorrow...