kde 3.1.2 upgrade/usage

chris z

ummm........

same channel? yeah, they are. my computer is old & a bit outdated, by today's standards. it's a vintage 1998 IBM Aptiva 2153-E2U. it only had 1 expansion slot & it's very cramped quarters inside. when i added the burner & tried hooking it up, this is the only setup that worked for me. i did this when Window$ was my only OS. my burner is set up as IDE primary master, cdrom is IDE primary slave, hard disk is IDE secondary channel master. that's the basic configuration the computer came with, 'cept the burner wasn't installed. i set the burner as primary & the rom as slave when i installed the burner, 'cause i figured if anything would go kaput cdrom wise, it would be the cdplayer since that's older. the hard drive has always been secondary master. why? i dunno, but it's always worked fine with this setup. (and, no.......since it ain't broke, i'm NOT gonna break it!) :lol: anyways, as i said in the prior post, everything is just ducky now! since last i posted my fstab file, i've removed the following lines since i don't use supergoof (as you call it :wink: ):

#none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0 

#none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

so, my roms are working, i can burn data, iso's, & music, KDE is rockin' fine, MDK is very stable (unless i do something stoopid to it). cest la vie, i guess...........

Chris

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you got it going. From a hardware percpective, that setup is the hardest to work with! And it explains some of the oddities.

CD devices as a rule should not be on the same ide channels; it just causes odd problems (like I'm telling you something you don't know!) I would never configure my hardware like that! :wink:

I was building computers in 98, and I still didn't configure 'em like that!