kde 3.1.2 upgrade/usage

chris z

went to that link alreadt........doesn't work (the instructions, that is). i found this link on pclinux http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?m...560&forum=7

://http://www.pclinuxonline.com/module...0&forum=7

that only makes it half work. i can't eject my cdrom. it keeps telling me that only root has priveledges to do that, but i can't even eject as root. i can mount & umount my burner, floppy, & cdrom, but i can't eject the cdrom!!! :x any other advice to (at least) get all of my drives usable like they were? me's getting to think this was a bad idea.

Chris

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno I follows the guide gave you and I can open cd's and eject em and all..LIfe is grand.. You might waite abit hopefully in the next week or so tex will update the kdebase package and add the supermount desktop icon support back in.

I used texstar rpm's for updating kde when they were first posted. Although I do not use supergoof, er... I mean supermount, all of my desktop features were retained. I made icons for mounting, umounting, and ejecting my cdrom and my cdrw, which have always worked.

If you are saying that, in a terminal, you cannot eject your cdrom, then something else was wrong before you updated kde, and I don't think it is related to kde.

things really shouldn't have to be this difficult. i need to go to bed. i've been dicking around with cdrom drives & floppy's & supermount & mounting & unmounting & k3b (again) for the past 6 hours.....all because of a supposed upgrade. sorry, but i am less than happy. at this point, my supermount is gone, no matter what i try (MCC mount points, creating new icons & links, editing fstab). i have working icons for all cdroms & floppy now using the Texstar url method, but even that took over an hour 'cause the burner wasn't recognized for some reason. that's finally working now. working, in as much as the cd's & floppys work when inserted, but there's no right click option to mount or unmount them. so, it's like they're supermounted/automounted, but they're not. now, after all the headaches i had with k3b & finally got that working properly, k3b no longer recognizes my burner when i run it as user chris. all permissions are set, all necessary packages are installed & given permission to chris, but it still won't see my burner as chris. i've rebooted more times than i can count. i don't know what else to say right now. if anybody can offer a suggestion, i'll be more than willing to try it. or, if you need me to post file contents, etc, let me know what to post & i will. sorry, but at times like this, i'm still glad i have my Window$ partition intact.

good night,

Chris

good morning,

sorry about the rant, but i was tired & frustrated. i'm at work now & won't be able to screw around with things 'til probably tomorrow night. but, this morning before work i was looking at things & it just doesn't make sense to me. why/how could upgrading to KDE 3.1.2 wreak such havoc on my drives? although i've come a long way with MDK/Linux since that 5th (& final) install a little over a month ago, i'm still very much in a learning curve...........& still trying to learn. if i wasn't coherent last night, currently i have an icon on my desktop for each of these drives......cdrom, cdburner, floppy. i put them there following the Textstar "url link" instructions. after much ballyhoo, they all finally work, inasmuch as i put a media in each device, click on the icon, & file manager opens to that device showing me the contents of the media inserted. i can eject manually with the cdrom & floppy buttons. where i used to have a mount/unmount/eject option with these device icons, i no longer do. it seems they're permanently mounted. if that's the case, that's ok with me. but i wonder why i don't have those options anymore. and, to further confuse me, my k3b no longer lets me burn as user "chris" becuase it doesn't recognize my burner, which is the problem that begat this thread (as if you all don't rememberhttp://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...cd93b4f79b9d380so, now i'm stuck with permanently mounted drives & unable to burn as user with k3b & don't know where to go from here. has anybody had similar headaches due to the Texstar KDE 3.1.2rpm upgrade? can this upgrade/package be uninstalled (via MCC remove packages) & will that bring me back to KDE 3.1 with all of my previous settings in tact? or, when/is Texstar going to release a fix/workaround for this? all i wanted to do was burn a cd, but i had to get greedy & upgrade a perfectly good desktop setup. :oops: gotta get some work done now. i'll check back from time to time, try any suggestions, post any info you may need tomorrow. (not giving up yet, but still :cry: .........

Chris

When learning linux, it is really best to do just a few things at one time. If you are using supermount, then mounting and umounting is a null point.

If you run k3b set up again, you should be able to see the changes made.

Linux is no different than any os, in that if you change the config files, things change. The difference is that in linux you have full access to all the configuration, and you don't have to pay someone somewhere to get permission to make your box work! I am concerned about your hardware; nothing should have changed in the setup.

everything i look at shows me nothing has changed hardware wise. i've been looking at posts on pclinuxonline forums, & it seems lots of people had the very same problem(s) with this particular rpm, so at least it gives me some small comfort to know that i'm not alone. there was also another anomoly after installing the Texstar rpm. when i rebooted, not only were my cdrom/floppy icons gone, but in there place was an icon for each of my drive partitions (mount points). i removed them through KDE desktop configuration. (that was just a cluttered mess!) i'm gonna try re-running k3b setup (again) when i get a chance. this still doesn't explain to me why that wonderful "supermount" option that everybody seems to love or hate isn't working anymore. my fstab reflects "supermount", my lilo.conf reflects ide-scsi emulation, k3b recognizes the burner when run as root. i even took the precaution of saving my original, known good fstab & lilo files before doing this, & when i compare those to what's there now, they're identical. same with the k3bgroup file. when this happened before, all i did was add "chris" to cdrecord, cdrdao, & mkisofs goups, rebooted, & all was well. this time that don't even work. as i said, i'm at work so i can't post any info & try anything now, & i'll be busy tonight with no time to do it, but tomorrow i'll rerun the k3b setup, & see what happens. :?

thanks for putting up with me,

Chris

Ummm... when you say you upgraded, how many rpm's did you use to upgrade? I'm asking because your previous post seems to indicate that you used "an rpm". there are 15 or 16 rpm's needed to upgrade kde.

By the way, supermount acting mysterious is par for the course. That's why I don't use it.

i selected the KDEbase3.1.2rpm & by choosing that it told me i needed another 16 or 17??? rpm's as dependencies, so i let it use them & installed. the install was error free, i lost none of my previous KDE settings, & everything works fine except for this d*mn cdrom/k3b headache. hi ho, hi ho, back to work i go.

Chris

just a brief update, to anyone who cares.........

had a bit of time to play last night, so what i did was (using KUser) deleted all the groups for cdrecord, cdrdao, mkisofs, & k3b..........saved..........re-opened KUser, added all of those groups back, gave user "chris", admistrator, operator, & root permissions for those groups, saved, rebooted, & i was back in business with k3b recognizing my burner as user "chris"! but, still not breaking out the champagne.......when i insert a cd (music or data) in my cdrom then open k3b, it locks my cdrom so i can't eject or unmount, manually, via k3b, or even via terminal (as root, even)! this is driving me batty! what i'm gonna do tonight, is disable supermount, wipe out all of the k3b fstab settings, redo the lilo.conf for ide/scsi emulation (made backups of all these files, just in case), rerun the k3b setup, redo the groups & permissions, & see what flies from there. i'll post back with results when i'm done...........either deeper in the hole, or climbing out of it.

Chris

Let me second lxthusdan's comment:

By the way, supermount acting mysterious is par for the course. That's why I don't use it.

I hate it and it's caused me nothing but problems. Now, disabling supermount is one of the first things I do when installing mandrake. I upgraded using texstar's rpms with supermount disabled and have no problems whatsoever. Try disabling supermount and creating new mounting icons on your desktop by right clicking and doing CreateNew>CD/DVD ROM Device.

HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

i'm thoroughly confused!!! i've been dicking around with my cdrom & burner mount points. i still haven't run the k3b set up. i have edited my fstab & lilo.conf. i used MCC set mount points to reset the mount points for my cdrom & burner. currently i have 2 working icons on my desktop, 1 for cdplayer, 1 for cdburner. i am not using supermount. eveything is ALMOST working fine, except for one thing that is driving me crazy!!!! :banghead: i put a cd in my cdplayer.....click on the cd player icon......it opens file manager, shows me the contents of the cd, the icon shows as mounted.......i close file manager, right click the icon, click unmount, the icon shows unmouted, i push the eject button on the cdplayer, it ejects. good, right???!!! so, i go through the same motions for my cd burner......it all works the same as my cdplayer EXCEPT when i push the eject button on my cdburner, it won't eject! nor will it eject by right clicking on the icon & clicking the eject option. if i try that, i get a message that says "eject /dev/scd0 failed!". i can only eject my burner by going to terminal, su to root, then do "eject /dev/cdrom"!!! why can't i eject the freakin' CD with the button any more???!!! here's my current fstab:

/dev/hdc7 / ext2 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdc10 /home ext2 defaults 1 2

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

#none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

#none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdc6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdc9 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc8 swap swap defaults 0 0

here's my current lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hdc

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=900

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/hdc1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hdc

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.18mdk

label="2421-18"

root=/dev/hdc7

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.18mdk.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hda=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

does anybody see anything that doesn't look right, that may be causing me not to be able to eject my burner with the button? or, if it doesn't have anything to do with those 2 files, can anybody tell me what i need to do to be able to eject my burner using the button? i have off from work today, so i'll be anxiously awaiting a reply & some assistance. (pleeeeze......)

Chris

never mind...........again. see, if ya let me hanging long enough, i'll (usually) find a way to untie the rope........

first, sorry that this thread went a bit off topic, but actually, it's all related (i think) because upgrading KDE begat my cd drive woes, which (re)begat my K3B woes. after trying everything under the sun that i could possibly think of, i resorted to Google, which solved everything. first, the reason i was unable to eject my burner was because i had KSCD player set to start automatically when KDE starts & had it docked in the tray. i found a Google reference that by doing that it can interfere with the manual eject function because KSCD has it's own eject function. by shutting down KSCD & not allowing it to load at log in, i can now eject both cd drives, by the eject button or by right click->eject! :D then it was on to K3B. again, Google saved my ass! after running the K3B setup, setting various permissions, rebooting, & testing it so many times that i can't remember, it always reverted to only recognizing my burner & rom as root. it wouldn't budge for user "chris". i did a Google for "cdrecord permissions" & found a page saying that XCDRoast can override K3B permissions. again, sure as sh*t, i ran XCDRoast as root, went to setup->users, added chris as a user & set permissions to non-root mode, fired up K3B as "chris", & walla, bang, zip, zoom! K3B now recognizes my cd drives as user "chris"! :lol: man, i've been at this so long that my eyes are buggy & my nerves are frayed. but i did it! i'll learn the wicked ways of Linux if it kills me! :twisted: so, in synopsis, my cd drvies are operational, my fstab is cleaned up, i have ide-scsi emulation, supermount is history, KDE 3.1.2 is working wonderfully, & so is K3b! consider this case closed! (all breathe a sigh of relief......again) now, what else can i get myself into?

Chris