how to dowload Linux installers on winXP

grendal

Ok, here's my problem:slow dial-up Mandrake9.1/winXP dual boot at home, but at work I have high speed, but only WinXP. I've tried to download various L:inux items. Some do ok, but most load a page of text. Is there a way to save these items, are the valid or just the junk they look like? I know that everyone will be saying, get Highspeed at home, but I live in the country and it isn't available. My main reason for this is to get game demos and or full installers for my old games that don't have linux installers included (Q2, Q3, return to castle wolfenstein, etc).

Thanks in advance

Guest dardack

I'm thinking that XP is thinking the extension for the programs you are downloading as an extension it thinks it can read or something. So i'm thinking right click on the link and click save as and then change the option to all files (instead of what windows thinks it is) than replace the file name with the correct file name you want (sometimes windows add's extensions and such, and prolly can't save any . thing will have to name it like l.lircrc and then rename at home). Just some thoughts. Would need more info on what you're downloading, where, with what (I assume IE), etc.

Guest dardack

BTW, i have Quake 2 and 3 for windows, they make installers for Linux with this windows disks? Or you gotta buy em? Keep my XP partition for games only so no clue on this. asking i am.

Thaks for the tips, Yes Im using IE6 and I Have been trying to get the installers for the games I mentioned above(i don't know if any linux cds are available for those, but was thinking about buting ut2k3 which has a ut installer on disc three). I just saved the quake2.run file from Dolsons site ( http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/?c=games ). Your tip seemed to work, Ill try to get the others, burn a disc and let you know tomorrow if this works!!

Thanks guys. I "saved as" the ut2k3 demo, burned it to disc, and Mandrake actually installed it and it runs smooth!! So that's a easy trick, especially for those of us who are unlucky and have dial up access, but have friends (or work) with high speed internet and a burner!!!

Guest JaseP

I had a similar problem to this when I first started using Windoze XPee (I was COMPELLED TO by managment, for which I many never forgive them).

The answers are as follows, just as stated very eloquently before me...

1. You only need download the installers to run most Quake-based games on Linux. There is no need to buy seperate installation disks.

2. To save the installer run files within XPee,... right click on the target and do a save as file, rather than allow it to believe it's a text file. Some browsers may screw up text and so it may not save correctly if you save the displayed file with the save as.

Only some games do not run under Linux that are Quake based. They include Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast, and Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 Arena all have Linux point releases. Return to Castle Wolfenstein has Linux Point releases. Only games like Descent3, SimCity 3000, and Alpha Centuri require a purchased Linux disk.

Some of the games that do not run in Linux natively will run under Wine or WineX (CVS and/or Transgaming).