VLC player can't play avi or wmv files [solved]

tetsujin29

Try doing what this guy did - https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=66144

Kieth

In that post, he has a link to this site: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-mandriva.html I also went there and looked. It give two urpmi commands to download various packages:

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring and older (since 9.2)

To install the latest VLC packages, add the following sources for your Mandriva version (you can use Easy urpmi for that):

contrib from the core distribution;

plf (Penguin Liberation Front) from the external add-ons.

Then install the required packages with urpmi:

# urpmi libdvdplay0 wxvlc vlc-plugin-a52 vlc-plugin-ogg vlc-plugin-mad libmatroska0

You might also try to install libdvdcss2:

# urpmi libdvdcss2

I looked for these packages in MCC. I cannot find libdvdplay0 or wxvlc. The vlc-plugin-mad isn't there either, but might be vlc-plugin-mod, which I found.

Here's what I get in my terminal with those urpmi commands.

# urpmi libdvdplay0 wxvlc vlc-plugin-a52 vlc-plugin-ogg vlc-plugin-mad libmatroska0

No package named libdvdplay0

# urpmi wxvlc vlc-plugin-a52 vlc-plugin-ogg vlc-plugin-mad libmatroska0

Packages libmatroska0-0.8.1-1mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-0.8.6f-2plf2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-ogg-0.8.6f-2plf2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-a52-0.8.6f-2plf2008.1.i586 are already installed

Packages vlc-0.8.6f-1mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-0.8.6f-2mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-ogg-0.8.6f-1mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-ogg-0.8.6f-2mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-a52-0.8.6f-2mdv2008.1.i586, vlc-plugin-a52-0.8.6f-1mdv2008.1.i586 can not be installed

# urpmi libdvdcss2

Package libdvdcss2-1.2.9-4plf2008.1.i586 is already installed

#

Kieth

Edited by Kieth

If you have 3D desktop enabled then disable it and try again.

Also try this: In terminal cd to where you have the video file and in terminal run:

mplayer -vo x11 name-of-file.avi

And see if that works.

When I disabled compiz fusion 3D, the VLC player is working again - is there a way for VLC to run with 3D desktops? I am finding that this also happens with other programs (like wine) which doesn run with the 3D desktop...

Try this: In VLC open settings>preferences>video>output modules. Next check Advanced Options in the bottom right hand corner then choose X11 instead of default and see if that works.

As for WINE especially if you are playing games, it hit and miss, you try the game with 3d Desktop enabled, if the game is slow then disable 3D desktop and try again.