Install new kernel

Guest abhi_69

Guest abhi_69

Hello all,

currently i am using mandriva 2008.0 version. it has kernel 2.6.22.9. can i download latest kernel & install it in mandriva 2008.0?

does it upgrade present kernel version?

how can i install new kernel?

is it safe?

plz. give me details.

thnx in advance.

Edited by abhi_69

Yes you can download the latest kernel and NO it does NOT update the existing kernel.

After you install the latest kernel, you will have to open MCC and go into Boot and select it as default if you want to use it permanently.

If not then when you reboot you can select the new kernel from the Grub boot menu where it will be listed.

Keep in mind that if you use the new kernel, you may also have to reinstall your video driver as well.

Cheers. John.

Mandriva have install kernel script. You can't use MCC MDV automatictly linked to new kernel and start after reboot from new kernel. Before remove urpmi kernel-devel and install new kernel-devel if needed. ....Lex

Yes, you certainly can... if you love trouble.

Let aside the possible initscripts differences, that kernel is highly likely built against a different gcc version, which means that you will find it very difficult building kernel modules in a reliable way.

Your best bet is getting the SOURCE rpm of that kernel, and building it yourself for your system:

rpm --rebuild kernel*.src.rpm

Edited by scarecrow

That's right.

The default option in the bootloader in Mandriva in fact points to the files /boot/vmlinuz (for the kernel itself) and /boot/initrd.img (for the initrd). These do not really exist. When you install a kernel package, it creates them as symlinks to itself. So the upshot is that the default option will always boot the most recently installed kernel. The explicit entries beneath it are there to make sure you can always explicitly boot any installed kernel you like.

You mean, no matter which linux link I choose, I'm actually booting into the same kernel - the latest? This seems strange because with the latest update (2.6.24.7), I cannot use my web cam, while I was able to get it working with the older kernel (2.6.24.5).

Kieth

You mean, no matter which linux link I choose, I'm actually booting into the same kernel - the latest?

No, what Adam is saying is that the latest kernel is the default kernel at boot. You can still select any kernel that you still have installed and is listed on the grub menu.