NVIDIA driver

Guest oberon

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oberon
the "nv" driver is not an nvidia driver, it's not made by nvidia.  it's a generic driver, and you should not see the nvidia logo when using it.

YES! This switched on the light in my stupid head! :twisted:

Why didn't I check the contents of XF86Config-4 immediately after the fresh installation of Mandrake?

Now I did this (couldn't sleep until came and checked :)). This is what I found:

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

And libglx.so points to libglx.so.1.0.4321 - the older version of the same nvidia driver. This is because I've got PowerPack, the installation CDs are different. If I had a normal system I'd perhaps never knew these hangups!

Maybe all my other problems (such as disfunctional updating utility) are also peculiar to the PowerPack. But I'll check it later.

And I was wrong saying that I tried 'nv' driver. Now I switched to it, and it works - I have a resolution of 1280 x 1024. If it will continue to work without hangs, my problem is solved.

However, I'll try to install the driver suggested by anon. But this will be my last attempt with nvidia driver. If it will continue to hang, I'll enjoy my life with nv.

But before I was able to switch to nv, the system hanged again, so another reinstallation is pending in the morning... :evil:

Yes, and to remove the old drivers I used just the utility for the software removal.

Now I can go and sleep! :lol:

Guest oberon

Aaargh! So I was lucky in the fact, because my X started always and without fail. What is interesting - I thought Red Hat has an advantage over Mandrake, because it never seriously hanged on my system. But the reason was that Red Hat doesn't come with nvidia driver while Mandrake PowerPack does come with it. And when I installed nvidia into Red Hat it hanged without fail.

But what is interesting, the other guys here run NVIDIA cards with nvidia drivers and don't have any problems. So there is some trick with hardware, maybe something on motherboard.

Anyway, I'll try nvidia driver last time now...

Guest oberon

OK, I prepared everything, but couldn't download the drivers. The ftp*/pub seems to be empty... Anyway, I'll try it another day, but right now I am quite happy with 'nv' driver. Somehow, I feel that it won't hang.

Many thanks to everyone here! I'll go to the next problem soon :wink:

it appears to be most 5200 cards and some of the other fx based cardsare effected. I went from a geforce2 200mx to a 5300 ultra on the same machine/mandrake install and ran into all of the same problems you have had. I have gone through all of the reformatting, kernel changes, adendums to grub, with no change in results. What I didn't try was down gradeing to a 2.4.20 or below kernel. (seems to be a 2.4.21 problem).

Hopefully a new driver will fix this.

I'll be testing 9.2 beta later, after i recompile the kernel to match the gcc version so i can get the nvidia driver to work.

Guest oberon
What I didn't try was down gradeing to a 2.4.20 or below kernel. (seems to be a 2.4.21 problem).

No, in Red Hat 9 the kernel is 2.4.20 and it worked OK until I installed nvidia. Then it hanged.

I tried to read this entire thread, twice. I still don't see any thing about your computer configuration. Like:

What motherboard do you have?

Who made the video card? ASUS, or who ?

I have RIVA TNT 32mb in my server, I have GeForce 256 in an other one and GeForce 4 on my newest. I have installed the same current driver for all 3 and the ONLY change I made was from "nv" to "nvidia". No problems.. *Leans over, knocks on wood*.

This is why I'd like to know who made your video card and your mobo.

Thanks

Tech

edit: Note the RIVA TNT was made by Diamond, the Geforce 256 is OEM Dell, and the Geforce 4 was made by ASUS.

Guest oberon

As for the video card, I think, I mentioned it a couple of times somewhere, but not sure :? Anyway, it is NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS. Well, I know there are people happily running this card with nvidia driver, but this is not about me.

The motherboard is P6VAA - such a poetic name.

As for the logs - why didn't you ask before, bvc? Today, after a fresh install, I switched to 'nv' driver and for the first time in 1.5 months I am not reinstalling Mandrake thrice a day but running it happily for the whole day and everything works, even Mandrake Update...

So the logs will show nothing right now. Or do you want me to install nvidia and hang again, just to find the final truth :wink: ?

As for the video card, I think, I mentioned it a couple of times somewhere, but not sure :? Anyway, it is NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS.

Yeah, I saw that part. But who made the video card? Nvidia, AFAIK don't make video cards. They make the GPU and other supporting chips for other manufactures like ASUS, ASYLUM, ect....

Did you buy the card or did it come with the computer?

As for the logs - why didn't you ask before, bvc?
Well, I didn't think of it b4 today to be honest.....been kinda busy. I would have hoped that either someone else would've mentioned it or that you would have found it with the Search feature above :wink: :) I don't mean that in a mean way, but there are others that have had this prob, and not just with nvidia. Many times the reason is never found.

do you want me to install nvidia and hang again, just to find the final truth  ?
That's completely up to you. Like I said, it may not do any good, but you never know until....... Are you pci or agp? If agp have you followed the suggetions from nvidia for troubleshooting?

I think what Technonoid wants to know is "Who made the video card? ASUS, or who ?"

Guest oberon
But who made the video card?

Ah, yes, I found it's brochure. It is ASUS V7700 Series.

That's completely up to you. Like I said, it may not do any good, but you never know until.......

So, I think I'll enjoy the non-hanging version of Mandrake for some time before digging further. It is such a relief to work the whole day without hangs!

Ah, yes, I found it's brochure. It is ASUS V7700 Series.

Alright.. Thats good.

If you feel like trying again like bvc says... It would be intresting to know what those logs say.

Up to you..

I was just curious on the mobo. Its seems ok from what I have found googling...

Tech