KDE kernel failure

I have just recovered my system after running out of space on my root partition.

This resulted in a .DCOPserver KDE - connection list failure, after I tried to reboot the box with ctl+alt+backspace.

Once I got the shell/ terminal I logged in as root and ran startx.

Even though this enabled me to recover some space on the root partition, I still couldn't get KDE to login after rebooting.

From a little research and error analysis I ran the following to change ICE-unix permissions and move the offending

items giving the .DCOPserver error prompt

chmod 777 .ICE-unix 

cd /home/user/.kde
ls -la
mv socket-localhost socket-localhostbak 
mv tmp-localhost tmp-localhostbak
reboot

Having moved/ renamed my /user/.kde/ sockets and rebooting I found selecting KDE as the session gave me a new error

.ICEauthority access failure

I ran

cd /home/user
ls -la 
chmod 777 .ICEauthority

I have now got my KDE GUI running again but still have very little space left on my root partition which is currently

df
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6			 7.7G  7.2G  187M  98% /
/dev/sda8			 111G   87G   24G  79% /home
/dev/sdc2			 459G  429G  5.8G  99% /mnt/Lacie_TB1
/dev/sdc5			 459G  430G  6.0G  99% /mnt/Lacie_TB2
/dev/sdb1			 689G  649G  5.0G 100% /mnt/SR1
/dev/sdb2			 687G  651G  2.1G 100% /mnt/SR2

This may be due to having multiple kernels installed which I have accumulated when updating.

I like to keep one as a backup, but am keen to remove the others ( to gain some space on root).

uname -a
Linux NS03 2.6.22.19-server-2mdv #1 SMP Mon May 5 21:13:00 EDT 2008 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz GNU/Linux

rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.22.19-2mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-desktop-latest-2.6.22.19-2mdv2008.0
kernel-server-devel-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-desktop-devel-latest-2.6.22.19-2mdv2008.0
kernel-server-devel-latest-2.6.22.19-2mdv2008.0
kernel-server-2.6.22.18-1mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-server-latest-2.6.22.19-2mdv2008.0
kernel-desktop-2.6.22.19-2mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-server-devel-2.6.22.19-2mdv-1-1mdv2008.0
kernel-server-2.6.22.19-2mdv-1-1mdv2008.0

Any suggestions/ recommendations on how to gain back some space on this partition would be welcome!

as I feel nearly 8G should be plenty for the operating sytem to manage on.

;)

there is a great utility right in konqueror called filesize view (from the view menu or might also be on one of the toolbars), it allows you to see the size of all files and directories

be sure to not select /media and /mnt though when you want to find out the size of / because it will add all mount points to / ,so  select all directories in / except for /media /mnt (and maybe /proc neither) and see where the junk is...

btw: kernels are not very big, about 20mb for the kernel and 10 mb for the kernel headers

Edited by ffi

I have used this in the past, and am currently looking for the build up of junk/ left behind files.

So far I have found 1.4gb of files left when a program ran out of space and crashed leaving the files in a hidden directory.

Is there any way to search for all temporary files including ones left after a make/ compile which are no longer req'd?

or a global junk cleaning utility? similar to System mechanic, CCleaner ,Your uninstaller etc

I have already looked in the /tmp directories and removed any I don't need there.