Mandriva One KDE Desktop

Guest gluedtopcman

Guest gluedtopcman

In the right hand corner of the Mandriva One Desktop is a square consisting of a 3 X 3 array of smaller squares. It's annoying. Does anybody know how to get rid of it? I've gone through just about every control center and can't find a way to get rid of it. Appreciate any help.

Tom

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

My guess is that it's the desktop pager for Metisse. Are you using Metisse for 3D effects? If you are and you want to keep using Metisse, I'm not sure how to remove it (if at all possible). The more obvious choise is to start using 2D desktop or Compiz for "real" 3D.

One possibility may be this. I'm currently using Compiz, so I cannot say if this works, but the regular pager can be removed from the panels by clicking on the small "bar handle" next to it and choosing "Remove desktop preview and pager" option from the list. Perhaps the same works for the Metisse pager.

Guest gluedtopcman

Thanks dude67

That was it, but it was painful getting rid of it. I found where to change to Compiz and logged off and back on to start it and the desktop was not there. Just a big ol wht screen and a mouse pointer. I'm new to Mandriva, and I've got to say it is awesome. I've been here before in other versions and since I'm kinda dead in the command line operation when it comes to serious problems so I basically had to reinstall. The other versions I've tried just don't give you a clear way to recover. In Mandriva I just rebooted from the CD and redid a LIve Install. Reinstalled the GRUB, but left the rest of the drive alone and this awesome Mandriva brought me back from death. I didn't loose anything. My biggest sin is playing around with how things look and behave untill I kill it. Did it for years in Windows (yuck) now I get to learn all over in LINUX.

Tom (gludtopcman).