Using KDE programs in Gnome

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

Could you please tell me what happens if I run programs made for KDE when working in Gnome? Do they work more slowly or what?

Also, are there any programs made for Gnome, similar to KDevelop and Quanta Plus in their functionality?

I'm assuming that GNOME works in the same way that Kapps do, but if not someone can feel free to correct me :-)

When you are running gnome, several libraries are shared by the same apps. So, since parts of each program are all ready open, the program can open up faster, and opening multiple programs uses less RAM. It's the same thing with KDE apps. Launch a KDE app in gnome, and watch 'top'. You will notice a bunch of KDE processes loading up. So everything should still work at the normal speed, just loading times and ram usage will be higher.

--Andrew

Guest oberon

Thanks!

But if they work the same way, so what is the reason to have both of them? :? Normally people explain the difference between them like this: look, this is Nautilus, it is GNOME. And this is Konqueror, this is KDE. But this doesn't have any sense.

Is it possible to say in few words what is the difference between Gnome and KDE? There is a feeling that Gnome is more efficient, but why much more people write their programs for KDE in this case?

Basically KDE and Gnome function the same. They just look different and use a different core library. KDE uses QT libs where as Gnome uses GTK libs.. Other then that it's mainly eye candy and different setup and tools and so forth. I haven't ever really used Gnome to a great extent but it's not as feature rich from my initial tryout as KDE is. In KDE I can easily change things faster then I could in Gnome. Mainly I think it's a personal preference. Infact there aare more option the using KDE or Gnome. They are both Desktop Environments.I did find that in some cases Gnome was abit faster with some apps then kde and vice versa. You can also use just window managers such as fluxbox which is a very nice one I might add.. You can use enlightenment which can also replace Gnomes default window manager..:) So there's really no easy way to explain the differences.. My suggestion is install both use both and then decide which one you like best..:)

Guest oberon

Too many options for the beginning, not like in Windows :lol:. But sooner or later I might try all of them. If not in this life, then in the next one! :)

Guest Page 6

What used to be a major difference (I haven't even looked in to it lately, so I don't know if it still is) is that Gnome was totally GPL, whereas KDE used the Qt libraries, which weren't GPL.

As far as too many options .... well, think of all of the variety of cheeses. You don't have to eat all of them at once, you can mix and match them with different fare whenever you want, yet you can still have your favorite. I just can't see having multiple options as a bad thing :)

Another nice thing to set up is equilvalent themes for GTK/KDE. My favourite is Keramik/Geramik. That way all apps look the same no matter what environment they are for.

--Andrew