Installing (spring) from scratch

Smithee

I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental:

Mandrake 9.2 loaded perfectly and ran fine, however after downloading Mandriver "spring" cd version and burning image (twice using both XP and Vista systems) I'm getting the same error when attempting to install.

By selecting F3 from the boot screen and watching the verbose installation messages, it seems to fail to mount the drives or create directories, then drops into console mode. While it seems to be a hard drive detection problem, it's clear the HD works fine with other O/S.

I never reach the stage described where the partitions can be set up manually.

Installation has been tried by:

1) Installing Mandrake 9.2 then using the Mandriver boot disk.

2) Formatting the hard drive (fat 16) and installing from Mandriver boot disk

3) Formatting the hard drive (fat 32) and installing from Mandriver boot disk

3) Installing W2K then installing Mandriver from boot disk.

4) Installing XP then installing from the boot disk.

PC System is Jetway 266 M/B with 1400 Athlon XP chip, 512 MB of mem and an old 8g IDE drive and a Prophet 64 video card.

My idea is to load the O/S on this test bed before eventually moving the whole windows network over to Mandriver.

Can anyone state the obvious to me (or is the answer stick with Windows?)

Perhaps your machine is too new for Mandrake 9.2 - you'd be better off trying a new version. 9.2 is extremely old. Either that, or I'm missing something completely.

Also, please give a bit of time for people to reply. Usually you'll have a reply within 24 hours.

If I understand correctly, Mdk9.2 (old) runs fine. It is Mdv 2008.1(aka Spring) (new) that does not.

All cases when I had a similar situation was either with faulty media/DVD drive, or too old hardware, and Smithee's hardware is not such…

From the "F3" and "verbose installation messages" parts of the message, I gather the DVD was correctly burnt (ie: as an ISO image). So a faulty media, maybe? Or bad luck.

A long time ago, in case of installation problem, I used text-mode install. I don't know if it still exists. These days, I rather use the standard kernel parameters to avoid problems, such as "noapic nolapic". Worth trying.

Anyway, we would be helped with a bit more information: what messages are displayed? Does the 2008.1 "One" LiveCD work?

Yves.

just for grins have you tried downloading the Mnadriva One disk and verifying that THAT will boot?

I'm not familar with you machine, but like you, when i was 1st starting out I reformatted the HD a LOT before I got anything to work, unfortunately as I learned more and more I relaized that i was creating a lot of my own issues.

I would verify that the "live" cd version will boot before you toss in the towel.

j

Thanks for your comments

Sadly if Mandriva doesn't work I can't asses it.

On Monday I had to present my conclusion to the managers. They decided it wasn't cost effective to switch from Microsoft at this time.

Our tech support guys keep telling me it's a good product. Perhaps I'll look into this again at a later date, but for now it's just too technical and not a viable option for our company.

I know it doesn't really serve a purpose, but thought it polite to reply.

Hello.

Perhaps you should keep in mind that if you want to use Mandriva on your companies computers, then you should test it on exactly the hardware that you will be using, not any "old test rig". It is well possible that everything will work out of the box on computer rig A while some hardware-piece will cause problems on computer rig B. Just keep that in mind next time your company considers a switch. Also, make a list of the things that you will need to function. While most things work excellent in Linux, some applications are IMHO still not ready for prime-time.

Mandriva is surely one of the best, maybe even the best distro out there right now in terms of ease of migration and hardware-support. And next time your consider a switch I recommend that you contact our Forum member Adam Williamson (adamw) or visit the #mandriva channel on IRC for instant replies to problems.