Linux Media Player Development

static

tyme's right. Why leave some out when it's just a simple plug-in anyway (who's code has already been written) ? Why would gaim leave out AIM just because more people use msn, right?

About the ncurses, I just brought that up because personally, when I'm using gentoo, I don't use X unless I have to, I live off of mc and I'd use the ncurses interface. But I wouldn't worry about it if I take up rhythmbox instead of starting from scratch.

Guest c_m_f

couldn't you just get the JUK sources add suport for teh apollon giFT front end (to sort out d/ling) add support toJUK for mplayer plugins, take all the preview handling from apollon and hand to JUK and erm... add video and image viewing into it, all's happy and dandy :)

I'm probably going to start a very erm extremely simple front end to mplayer in the next few weeks.......

It won't have much features, and will be crude and simple. But it'll be the way i like it. And there is also the possibility of a CLI version. Probably using python. Maybe.

And sarah31. I don't mind what you think. I'm doing this because i don't like any of the mplayer guis out there and mplayer is the best player. Plays nearly everything. Just needs a good gui. I want to use it not only for Video but for musice and all my media. None of the existing mplayer guis are very good at all that.

James

well first and formost it should work on the cli, then ncurses, then xwindows
I would do CLI, then hit xwindows. don't bother with ncurses unless there is a demand for it. or unless you want to, that is-but personally I'd look at getting it working on the CLI (unless of course you're going to make use of already existing programs and just create a frontend, then you can jump it and go to GUI) then work on the GUI, ncurses as an afterthought as most people will prefer the GUI/XWindows.
similarily you should pole to see what p2p clients to incorporate.
again, i must disagree. the more the better. start off with one good one, and then incorporate as many others as you can.

re ncurses .... the reason i would have it as an interface option because it gives you basic gui that can be used in console should someone be working in console. user intrerfaces are preferred by many folks and excluding a potential gui interface in console is limiting features and users.

just mho tho'

re p2p ... i don't like any of them really but most of all i dislike gnutella as it is a very slow and undependable p2p server. giFT with all three plugins would be a good choice but many folks don't like the giFT controls. they are not as feature rich as gnutella and others.

in general i think building a whole new media player would give you the most freedom instead of just scripting a gui interface over existing apps. of course this is likely not desireable if this is only going to be a part time project. media players are hard projects because you have to have a happy medium. you would have to sacrifice ALOT of your desired goals to be able to accomodate the most users.

re ncurses .... the reason i would have it as an interface option because it gives you basic gui that can be used in console should someone be working in console. user intrerfaces are preferred by many folks and excluding a potential gui interface in console is limiting features and users.

it has become obvious to me that you didn't read what i said. i said ncurses should be done after the GUI as the GUI will definitely attract more users. Get the larger user base, then do work on things for the "fringe" groups. i never said don't do ncurses.

and doing any one little thing differently will limit your features and users. it's a fact of life.

so wait, you call gnutella slow and undependable, and then say it's feature rich?

nevermind, i'm not going to bother.

Guest dardack

If you do make this, please make the GUI seperate from the actual program. Kinda like Ogle did for DVD player (really nice player). Cause i would use it on my MythTV box and since there is no Keyboard i need to set up the keys that i have set on my remote control. The GUI sucks for this. BTW if you need someone that dropped from CS to be a CPA i might be able to help somewhat especially using it and looking for bugs. Anyways, like the idea.

it has become obvious to me that you didn't read what i said. i said ncurses should be done after the GUI as the GUI will definitely attract more users. Get the larger user base, then do work on things for the "fringe" groups. i never said don't do ncurses.

and doing any one little thing differently will limit your features and users. it's a fact of life.

so wait, you call gnutella slow and undependable, and then say it's feature rich?

nevermind, i'm not going to bother.

man don't get bent out of shape you want input i am giving you input. if you don't like what i have to say then fine. do you even have a concept of what people want? why not build something that people want and not what you think they want?

a top down approach here may not work i am making you think of that. designing a gui before you have an application working is just plain silly. why not have the damn thing running first then think of how you have the gui?

maybe people want a NEW media player not a media player that incorporates old apps (of course incorporating certain apps such a oggvorbis and such makes sense). does the world need a single app that is merely a simple interface for mplayer or gnutella/gift/whatever?

if you incorporate things like mplayer how do you know if thats what people want? will there be options to use it as a front for xine?

what about streaming radio? is it going to include that? (if you think this is a minor feature i can tell you TONS of people i know stream radio over the internet. i do all day at work)

what about other media ripping?

questions and comments that all these are. just things to consider.....

anyway...i won't bother doing devil's advocate any more it just isn't worth it because your mind is set that you have the pulse of the linux user out there.

ps. if you think ncurses is used by a marginal group of people i would like to know how you know this or why ncurses apps dominate so many interfaces for very good and well used applications.

man don't get bent out of shape you want input i am giving you input. if you don't like what i have to say then fine. do you even have a concept of what people want? why not build something that people want and not what you think they want?

then let's do a survey, since you are as about as good of a measure as i am. i too was just making suggestions. you then took my suggestion and turned it into something completely different. i NEVER at ANY point said no ncurses.

a top down approach here may not work i am making you think of that. designing a gui before you have an application working is just plain silly. why not have the damn thing running first then think of how you have the gui?
coming up with concept designs of a gui prior to writing the program is actually a good idea. or, you could seperate out and have one group work on the gui while the other does the internals. there are many ways, and any way will work. this is not my idea, and like you, i am making suggestions.

maybe people want a NEW media player not a media player that incorporates old apps (of course incorporating certain apps such a oggvorbis and such makes sense). does the world need a single app that is merely a simple interface for mplayer or gnutella/gift/whatever?
I mentioned the possibility of using other apps behind the scenes. i never said it was only the way to go. please read what i said again. as for gnutella/gift/etc. i was talking about using their networks, not their programs. who needs to design a new network? that's not what this idea was originally about.

if you incorporate things like mplayer how do you know if thats what people want? will there be options to use it as a front for xine?
I don't know. I do know that if someone sees a new gui that does something they like the right way they don't care what is going on behind the scenes as long as it works. this has been proven time and time again.

what about streaming radio? is it going to include that? (if you think this is a minor feature i can tell you TONS of people i know stream radio over the internet. i do all day at work)
thank you for presuming what i may think. this was not mentioned.

anyway...i won't bother doing devil's advocate any more it just isn't worth it because your mind is set that you have the pulse of the linux user out there.
when all you do is play devils advocate you just make yourself look bad. making flat out statements with no support (you have done this twice, and only gave support for your bold statements when asked) for your arguement, you look bad.

ps. if you think ncurses is used by a marginal group of people i would like to know how you know this or why ncurses apps dominate so many interfaces for very good and well used applications.
if we want people to move to linux, then we want to give the GUI's. that's what they like. why do you think people use windows?

gee, i think i just found support for my arguement about the GUI.

now, we can go on for years, days, months about this stupid thing. but you don't want to see my point of view, whether or not it makes sense, nor i yours. who's right doesn't matter. i really don't care. i'm not designing this app, i'm not writing this program someone else is and they can make they own decisions.

i won't be back to this thread, so don't bother replying.

p.s.-in case you haven't figured it out, everything i say in any of my posts in just my personal opinion and should be taken as such until proven otherwise. as in literary works, it is not necessary for me to say "i think" due to the fact that if i do not provide a reference from a reliable source to backup my statements it is obviously just an opinion.

i'm sorry that you apparently don't know that.

Getting back to the original part of this thread, sorry tyme:

Here's what I have in mind:

[*]Play cds, mp3/mp3pros, oggs of course, wav, etc

This would be a great idea, there are a lot of apps that do this already, but:

[*]Rip from cd to the above (default ogg)

[*]Convert from any to any

This would be a sweet addition to any media player. I would use it on a daily basis for this reason alone. Currently I useripperX for my cd ripping. Requires additional plugins for mp3, but it's a damn handy program. I only wish the UI was a little better.

[*]nice gui, maybe an ncurses interface as well (secondary though)

[*]cross-platform, GPL

Again, a must

[*]add in video codec for a later release

Not necessary, but it would be nice to have everything in one. But I have to agree with something that was said earlier, even in Windows I used 2 separate programs for music and video.

[*]add in a built-in gift/openFT/gnutella/fasttrack interface in a later release

This would be sweet in my opinion, if we could get it to work.

I'm serious about getting this project underway - any takers?
I would be interested, if I knew more about Linux programming. But the only way to learn is to do it, right?

So is that another "yeah I might be interested!" LZ?

It looks like a lot of what I wanted is in rhythmbox, so I think I'm going to start some serious planning for this project (my icq# is below - I'll look into irc for it) If rythmbox doesn't agree to some of the features I really want (like the conversion part, for instance) I wouldn't hesitate to fork it and thus be able to do what I want with it (see above plans) - in fact, I may fork it anyway to avoid the hassle of trying to organize and collaborate with those good folks at rythmbox who already have an agenda.... need time to think! but it takes me so long! lol

My apologies for my earlier post where I became irrate w/sarah31. For the time being I'm leaving it there, but if static wants it to be removed (as this is his thread) he is more than welcome to send a PM to me or any mod/admin and request that such be done.

Again, my apologies for becoming hot under the collar.

what about other media ripping?

Other media? Like what? dvd's would be nice, lol, but I'm not sure that's too legal!! Suggestions welcome...

About the radio, I dunno, simply because I don't know anything about it. I avoid "mainstream" including streaming mainstream lol But if it isn't tough to include it, I do want as many plugins/options as possible...

• 2 weeks later...