Linux Media Player Development

static

I'm thinking that, considering there are distros out there that are customizable from the ground up anyway, I'm not in a huge rush to create my own distro. Instead, I'd like to use that time to create something linux seems to be lacking. A true media player.

Does anyone want to start a musicmatch-like jukebox project with me? Any programmers around?

Here's what I have in mind:

[*]Play cds, mp3/mp3pros, oggs of course, wav, etc

[*]Rip from cd to the above (default ogg)

[*]Convert from any to any

[*]use a database to browse your files (then you can sort by anything), dbl-click to play

[*]nice gui, maybe an ncurses interface as well (secondary though)

[*]cross-platform, GPL

[*]add in video codec for a later release

[*]add in a built-in gift/openFT/gnutella/fasttrack interface in a later release

You know - a real, all-in-one media player that can be docked, shaded, put into the slit, whatever. Make a playlist, get it out of your way, enjoy!

I haven't decided what language/RAD platform I'd like to use yet - but maybe kylix 3 open (pascal).

I'm serious about getting this project underway - any takers?

I only want to do preliminary planning, GUI sketches, pseudo code, etc until x-mas (when I graduate college). So that's perfect! I'll bug ya at the end of the year to see if you're still interested ;)

I still have to learn how cvs works too. I want to do this right and hopefully wind up with about 20 people working on it...

Maybe instead of writing a whole app we could write a really good mplayer frontend. THen we can focus more on GUI. I'd like to use Mplayer as my default Multimedia player, DVD, MP3 and Video. But it doesn't have a decent playlist ability, so I use XMMS for Mp3, And the DVD ability is a little dissapointing so I use Xine for DVD. Arrrgh to many players!! And i have to use mplayer for WMAs too. That's annoying!

James

The problem with wma is I'm not paying microsoft for the "right" to incorporate the codec into our software - I doubt very much it's available to freely make players for it.

As per the GUI comment - the gui is just about all we need to do; the code for everything is already in a ton of other open source apps that do all these things individually. We'd just need to combine them into one super app :D Plus make a nice installer like openoffice has. And I'd like it to be cross-platform, so that point, combined with technonoid's link above, makes Kylix look like a safe bet. You can download kylix right from borland's page, and using it is stupid-easy.

The problem with wma is I'm not paying microsoft for the "right" to incorporate the codec into our software - I doubt very much it's available to freely make players for it.

As per the GUI comment - the gui is just about all we need to do; the code for everything is already in a ton of other open source apps that do all these things individually. We'd just need to combine them into one super app :D Plus make a nice installer like openoffice has. And I'd like it to be cross-platform, so that point, combined with technonoid's link above, makes Kylix look like a safe bet. You can download kylix right from borland's page, and using it is stupid-easy.

I know there is a Win32 codec that mplayer uses. It's RPM is something like "win32-codecs-xxxxx.i586.rpm"

What do you think about the frontend to Mplayer idea? I'm downloading Kylix now..................

I shoulda got this earlier! it's good.

Crossplatform? I don't care. I've removed Windows from my system for good today 8)

It's gone!! 8) YAY

James

mplayer...feh don't like it so skinning it is pointless besides i am sure th mplayer team has plenty of people contributing code for them already and it still has not improved it imho. and there already is good cross-platform ability for it to ....well to bsd and macosX.

# Play cds, mp3/mp3pros, oggs of course, wav, etc

# Rip from cd to the above (default ogg)

# Convert from any to any

# use a database to browse your files (then you can sort by anything), dbl-click to play

# nice gui, maybe an ncurses interface as well (secondary though)

# cross-platform, GPL

# add in video codec for a later release

# add in a built-in gift/openFT/gnutella/fasttrack interface in a later release

aac and mpc should be options

ripper aspect would need to be VERY configurable most gui apps are not imho

convert from mp3 to ogg for example? bad idea converting lossy to lossy is just not very desirable to many folks.

well with itunes you can do this though it does not handle video (actually i like having separate video and audio applications---even in windows)

well first and formost it should work on the cli, then ncurses, then xwindows

hmm a multimedia player that does not handle multimedia right off??? :P

similarily you should pole to see what p2p clients to incorporate.

I'm there. The only thing missing from this rhythmbox is the conversions

(sarah31 - I know that going from lossy to losy isn't good, but sometimes you want to go all ogg or I download an mp3 and want to make it an mp3pro to take up less space - or I want to make a wav an mp3, etc. Who are we to not include a useful feature based on our opinion, right?)

About video, I agree that I prefer a separate app, I was just dreaming in technicolour ;)

archish - any mp3 player like xmms for example plays mp3pros. MP3pro is just an mp3 at 22kHz instead of 44, so it's a little muddier (hard to hear though) and a smaller file size.

The cross-platform is just because it would provide one of those ways for windows users to feel comfortable when just starting out in linux...

I may very well go with rhythmbox. I'm going to analyse it some more and report back...

well first and formost it should work on the cli, then ncurses, then xwindows
I would do CLI, then hit xwindows. don't bother with ncurses unless there is a demand for it. or unless you want to, that is-but personally I'd look at getting it working on the CLI (unless of course you're going to make use of already existing programs and just create a frontend, then you can jump it and go to GUI) then work on the GUI, ncurses as an afterthought as most people will prefer the GUI/XWindows.
similarily you should pole to see what p2p clients to incorporate.
again, i must disagree. the more the better. start off with one good one, and then incorporate as many others as you can.