Software hangs on load

flarefox

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew what would cause software to just hang in the background? I know it works because I've used it before in a previous version of mandriva....but when I try to use it in 2008.1, it doesn't load. I'm talking about Side Effects Software's Houdini. If you don't know it, it's a 3d app used in the visual effects industry mostly for complext particle and shading effects. They have a demo "apprentice" version you can use for free. I'm trying to get 9.0 to work as I have a license for 9.0 that allows me to render in HD. Right now I am using windows but that version is buggy and crashes all the time (mostly due to windows itself not handling memory well). I want to swap to the linux version but I can't even load it. I install it as normal, then I cd to /opt/hfs9.0.794 and then source houdini_setup_bash and type hkey. hkey is what you use to get a trial license from sesi. I have the sesinetd license administrator running and responding fine. I have the programs all installed and functional, but it won't load. If I go to command-line interface for it, I can still use it.....but not well since I need to see what I'm doing. I tried running with and without compiz. I deleted all my preferences. I tried running as several different users. I ran it in kde 3.5.9 and 4.1. When I run hkey it will pop up a window that says "Connecting to license server" and then, after that window closes, it just sits there running in the background until I kill it. Never draws a window or anything. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be? I have glxgears running fine and that checs out, so I am at a loss for what it could be. The people on odforce are going through what they know of but I thought there might be a small chance that someone on these forums would know what the issue with it could be.

Anyone? :wall:

Thanks in advance!

Some debugging output would surely help

urpmi strace

And after that

strace -o /home/flarefox/houdinierr /opt/hfs9.0.794/hkey

When the execution of the command stops, get the "houdinierr" file and paste it somewhere (it can be very large).

Edited by scarecrow