/dev/dsp - randomly busy/NA...

GuoJing

Yeah I use KDE...

Just found a post not really about UT2003 or Xine but Quake3...and the guy coudln't start the game and had the same error. So I tried the suggestion: artsdsp -m [application] and it worked fine :)

Wonder what was causing the problem ? :?

The problem lies with the aRTs sound server, because it doesn't allow direct access to /dev/dsp, which is what your programs were looking for.

I'm at work right now, but let me know if you want a more thorough explanation later.

The problem lies with the aRTs sound server, because it doesn't allow direct access to /dev/dsp, which is what your programs were looking for.

I'm at work right now, but let me know if you want a more thorough explanation later.

Thank you :) I'd be grateful if you could :)

The aRTs server hijacks /dev/dsp anytime it has to output any sound (usually sound from the KDE desktop). It has settings which tell it how long it should hold /dev/dsp before giving up control again. The default is 60 seconds. I found that changing this to something like 10 seconds is better. That way, if you start an app and you don't get sound, you can just quit the app, count to 10 and then start it again. In general I don't have to do this very often.

You can change this time parameter by opening KDE control center and going to sound -> sound server and check "autosuspend if idle for" and select the time.

Glitz.

• 4 years later...

Here's what I did to solve this:

Go to /usr/local/games/quake3 and change the quake3 start script to this.

#!/bin/sh

# Needed to make symlinks/shortcuts work.

# the binaries must run with correct working directory

cd "/usr/local/games/quake3/"

artsdsp -m /usr/local/games/quake3/quake3.x86 $*

exit $?

On previous KDE desktops setting the "autosuspend if idle for" time in MCC worked but not on KDE 3.5. :dry: