Can't configure Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless card

nitemarepc

I have a used Dell C610 256MG memory 1GHz processor. I have installed the Mandriva 2008 Spring Free with the 3 CD's. The configuration for the wireless card (Dell Truemobile 1150) is set to encryption of WEB and I want the WPA shared, it is also set at network of "Managed". I have tried everything to change the encryption to WPA and each time the settings go back to encryption of WEB and the original settings. I am set as root user with admin password but it won't save my changes to the wireless configuration. HELP!!!

I'm a newbie to Mandriva and Linux so please be gentle.

P.S. There is no other operating system on the hard drive.

:wall:

[moved from Installing Mandriva by Greg2]

Is this card built into your laptop, or is it a pcmcia card that's plugged in?

Anyway, if your card is built in, please open a terminal (konsole if you're using KDE) and post the output of

lspci -v |grep -i wireless

and if your card is plugged in, post the output (as root) of

pccardctl ident

Welcome aboard! :)

Okay, I'm a dummy with linux. I type 'pccardctl ident' in konsole but got an error and no output. Mandriva does recognize the TrueMobile 1150 card it just won't save the changes I input for the card - encryption - WPA/WPA2 and always goes back to 'WEP'. After login as root, what exactly do I put in the konsole command line? The wireless card is pcmcia card that is plugged in.

Thanks,

nitemarepc

I type 'pccardctl ident' in konsole but got an error and no output.

OK, I need you to install with your gui package manager the pcmciautils package, it should be on your cd's. Then run (as root) the

pccardctl ident

command again and post the output here.

I'm asking you these questions because I need to know what wireless chipset your device has before I can try to help you with WPA.

I also need to know if you have a working wired internet connection with this system, to possibly help set this WPA up?

I have not tried the wired internet connection but it does have an ethernet connection on it (builtin).

With the installation, I chose the option to copy the cd's onto the hard drive. Where is the gui package manager and what do I do to install the pcmciautils package? I'm sorry but I don't know these commands or anything about linux. I am a programmer (15 years) with AS400 RPG & COBOL, Visual Basic & C++ for Windows but not knowledgable with linux (always curious about it but don't know anything about the environment, commands, operation, etc.). Where would be a good place to get educated about linux.

Thanks,

nitemarepc :wall:

The pcmciautils was already installed and I wasn't logged in as the root user. Here is the output for the command pccardctl ident:

[root@localhost ~]# pccardctl ident

Socket 0: no product info available

Socket 1: product info: "Dell", "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card", "Version 01.01", ""

manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002

function: 6 (network)

[root@localhost ~]# lspcmcia -v

Socket 0 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:02:01.0)

Configuration: state: on ready: yes

Socket 1 Bridge: [yenta_cardbus] (bus ID: 0000:02:01.1)

Configuration: state: on ready: yes

Voltage: 5.0V Vcc: 5.0V Vpp: 0.0V

Socket 1 Device 0: [orinoco_cs] (bus ID: 1.0)

Configuration: state: on

Product Name: Dell TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card Version 01.01

Identification: manf_id: 0x0156 card_id: 0x0002

function: 6 (network)

prod_id(1): "Dell" (0xd726cf79)

prod_id(2): "TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card" (0xce1172fb) prod_id(3): "Version 01.01" (0xd27deb1a)

prod_id(4): --- (---)

[root@localhost ~]#

[nitemarepc@localhost ~]$ dmesg |grep -i prism

[nitemarepc@localhost ~]$

[root@localhost ~]# dmesg |grep -i prism

[root@localhost ~]#

I did not get anything back for the: dmesg |grep -i prism command logged in as root or user.

nitemarepc

In a root console do

lsmod | grep orinoco_cs

If you get nothing as output, just load the driver:

modprobe orinoco_cs

There's no need to install something else than pcmciautils, AFAIK the module is now included in the Linux stock kernel.

Edited by scarecrow

I did not get anything back for the: dmesg |grep -i prism command

I thought you had a Prism2, but I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry, but I still need to know what chipset you have. Please post or attach as dmesg.txt (if it's very large) the complete output of dmesg.

I've traced the manfid: 0x0156, 0x0002 to Lucent Technologies.

The orinoco driver that is supplied with Mandriva (and many other distros) is not currently capable of WPA. Please see this bugzilla.kernel.org.

According to this thread, there is a developer in Russia who has got it working, and the modified source is attached in that thread. There are also instructions to compile a working driver in that thread for Ubuntu. You could use those instructions (slightly modified) to build it with Mandriva.

I'm sorry, but without access to the same wireless card, I can't offer you any more help. :sad: