Go get OpenOffice.org 1.1rc and take back everything

Guest BooYah

If it works for you, it should for me??  :o  

:P  

Hey i just meant what specific thing is wrong and that all the pdf's i have made have been alright not to say that your's should be as you hadn't said at the time what the problem was.

I don't use accented characters and have only tried jpg's for images so far with 1.1rc, the results for what i have done have been acceptable.

I know, I know, read the smiley... :P

;)

Anyway, I have filed the bug report, just hope someone will fix it.

If not, I can always still print to .ps and then ps2pdfpress from there...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to run a network install - I should have remembered from my StarOffice installs :oops:

For those who don't know:

When you install OO, instead of running 'setup' as root, run 'setup -net'. After the install is done, all the local users need to run 'soffice'. That will run the setup program as the local user, and setup everything for the user.

Network installs used to be mentioned in the readme, but it's not there anymore. Time to file a report :-)

One more question: Can I copy over my old settings from 1.02 to use in OO 1.1? Or has the format changed?

--Andrew

On the OOo website it is mentioned how to do the similar thing to a network install; you don't have to do install -net anymore, just install as root, then as a user run the installer again. Check the OOo website.

It just copies some 3MB to your homedir (settings etc) and you're set to go.

So no need to file a change request or so.

Has anyone been able to set up the menus from the RC so that they are put into menudrake? When you do the install, it places some links in ~/.kde2/share/applnk/OpenOffice1.1. I can move them and put them into the proper directory, but they disapear as soon as update-menus runs. I tried putting them into /usr/share/applnk-mdk, and it's the same problem. I assume that there's a config file somewhere, but how would I put the entries into it?

Thanks!

--Andrew

There are two ways to go about this.

One: Copy all the OOo icons to /usr/share/icons. Then run Mandrake Control Centre > System > Menudrake > System Menu Configure. Once you are in Menudrake, switch Environment to "All environments". Then enter every element of OOo in the usual way. You will have to locate where OOo loaded, usually /usr/local/OpenOffice1.1rc or /opt/OpenOffice1.1rc then open the directory "program" and scroll through the icons to letter "s". You will see icons for sagenda, scalc, sdraw, sfax, simpress, slabel, sletter, smath, smemo, svcard, sweb, swriter (main ones bolded). Also you will see spadmin, which helps you set up your printer. All these can be assigned places on your system menu which will then be available to yourself or any other user.

Two: For Mandrake/KDE users, load "oooqs" from your Mandrake disc. Run it (from "Run" in KDE menu). An icon will appear in your system tray. Right-click on it and select Configure. Set it up how you like it, and you can then run all your OOo bits from there.

Me? I've done both!

Two: For Mandrake/KDE users, load "oooqs" from your Mandrake disc.
/me slaps self for not looking in urpmi :oops: I'd been trying to compile the latest version from source, with no luck. Thanks Dave!:D

OpenOffice 1.1 rc2 has hitted the mirror, I suppose 1.1 final will come with Mandrake 9.2 if OO 1.1 sticks to the schedule release in August:

OpenOffice 1.1 rc2 mirror:http://ftp.stardiv.de/pub/OpenOffice.org/stable/1.1rc2/

I hope so, because besides for OO 1.1 and Evolution 1.4, I can't really think of any other big software changes for Mandy 9.2?

I suppose there have been kernel changes... but then I haven't checked out the beta yet.

On the OOo website it is mentioned how to do the similar thing to a network install; you don't have to do install -net anymore

I found what was going on. I've always used the nice GUI install program, which is 'setup', not 'install'. I assume that at some point setup just calls install to do the work.

Does anyone have the changelog for RC2? The OO website doesn't seem to be updated yet :-(

--Andrew

Guest BooYah

Hey aRTee, I just downloaded your file and exported it as a PDF in 1.1rc1 and it looked perfect when I did it. I emailed it to the address on your website.

Hey, thanks, yes it does look much much better.

The only thing that is not good yet, is that the address in the left upper corner is 'pixelised' whereas it is just text in .eps form, so it should be very sharp (vector/text) and not get pixelised when zooming.

Could you please tell me what settings you used?

Thanks!

Just tried OOo1.1rc2 but the pdf export is still as crappy as before,... and my bugreport is still unconfirmed...

Should (can) I confirm it myself? What does it take to get them to notice it?

I just used OOo1.1rc1 to export to PDF, and it was perfect. There are three output levels and I picked the middle one. I e-mailed it into work where we use Windows 2000 and few of the fonts are available, and it rendered and printed perfectly.

It does seem strange and I've noticed this a lot, but sometimes there seems to be variance on how different computers work with the same programme. Perhaps it's hardware or it's memory intensive.

Anyone know?

I do know that with pdf in OOo it matters if you have a specific printer selected and then export to ps + ps2pdf, or pdf directly, that it doesn't embed the necessary fonts, meaning that on different systems you may have complete text missing..

But with a general ps driver it should always be ok.

Guest BooYah

I just clicked on the PDF icon on the toolbar. I just got rc2 and after I get some other stuff done I'll play around with your document.

But I have to ask, what are you trying to do? Why are you making a mailing label, which you'll need to edit anyway, into a pdf, which you can't edit with OOo? And why use the eps when a textbox would work?