Go get OpenOffice.org 1.1rc and take back everything

Guest BooYah

But it still won't read my mind and type the document I want! :wink:  

Is that asking too much? :lol:

Only if you want a blank document. :shock: ;-)

anyways, I didn't get around to trying it last night (too busy putting Familiar and Opie on an Ipaq), but so far it sounds good! glad it's working better for you Ix.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp downloaded and isntalled this last night on my pc at home. I have to say the install was very easy and very painless.. It loads much faster then the 1.0.2... Even has better support for MS Office generated docs...So far I am really impressed with it.

Just downloaded and installed it. First impressions are good. Install was nice and simple, with pretty pictures :P Load time MUCH better and the general appearance is a lot more pleasing to the eye. Buttons looked a bit officeXP as they highlight but it recognises all word templates and bits.

Does anyone know a release date for final or is it still a long way off? Also whats the best way of uninstalling it (only if I needed to)

But it still won't read my mind and type the document I want! :wink:  

Is that asking too much? :lol:

Only if you want a blank document. :shock: ;-)

:lol:

Guest mkbiyer

I have OO.o 1.1 RC installed on my box (in a different path). Apps like Evolution & Nautilus would not read the new version install to launch documents since the new installed version of OO would not registered to view / open the doc / xls etc MIME type.

the official OO.o comes with a wrapper script which I think you can hack to get Evo, Nautilus etc etc to use the new version. Till I get to decode it & modify the openoffice wrapper script, I wrote a simple shell script that calls soffice in the new path with a file name as an arguement & then registered this as default app for doc / xls / ppt MIME types.

works like a charm

Thanks to all the folks @ OpenOffice.org, Ver 1.1 would be a great step forward for the community & its users

:D

Guest mkbiyer
Also whats the best way of uninstalling it (only if I needed to)

run the setup file & choose remove option

.... but pls dont do that ... am sure you wouldnt have to !

:shock:

Good news: It's fast as hell (compared to OO 1.03)!

Bad news: It's 10mb more to download (50 mb vs 61 or so).

The one niggling problem I've had is telling OO to use my .openofice configs. I set the paths in the preferences, but it doesn't actually save or remember anything? Has anyone else got that to work?

--Andrew

Interesting:

after installation, my OOo1.03 (regular mdk9.1 version) started in 2 seconds...!!!!

I'm now testdriving 1.1rc1, had one crash whilst reading the manual to find how to import pdf.

Seems it's not there.

I don't really care about exporting pdf, always used the standard 'print to file - type: pdf'....

If anyone can tell me how to import pdf (for editing)...? Or is it not possible?

Anyway, other improvements: the stylist window is now a separate window on the desktop, so not cluttering / hiding the document you're working on. Very good. The splash screen has a load-idicating-bar on it, but it loads so fast I just barely got to see it..

Anyway, I will have to check if I find any reproduceable bugs, and report them. It is a Release Candidate after all..... ;)

Also whats the best way of uninstalling it (only if I needed to)

run the setup file & choose remove option

.... but pls dont do that ... am sure you wouldnt have to !

:shock:

Setup will remove the user bit in your home area, but it does not remove the main bit in the /usr/local or /opt area.

Yesterday I upgraded KDE from 3.1 to 3.1.2 and OOo loaded quicker. I just loaded the new 1.1RC and it loaded quicker still, and the fonts look better on screen. It is a definite improvement over 1.1beta1.

The only way I could find to get shot of the older version was brute force, i.e., open Konqueror as root and delete the old directory. Do that after loading the new version, I tried it once before and the new one would not load!

Question: is there a way of carrying forward your user settings and not having to type them in again? Could I have loaded the /home stuff into the same folder as it was in previously?

Il ike the new one. The old one was soooooooo slow, It took over 30 secs to open. It was even faster running the windows one through Wine because Windows had the quick load thing that'd go in the taskbar.

Anyway the new OOo is so much faster. I no longer am able to start it, get a coffee and return when it opens.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

OOo 1.1rc receeives the rcxau's prestigious 5 thumbs up! The best free office suite on linux

James

I have just found some (big) problems with pdf export, 1.0.2 does quite a bit better there... I'll make a testfile and send in a bugreport....

Whats wrong with pdf export seems to work fine for me?

Btw wow start time is just amazing compared to 1.0

If it works for you, it should for me?? :o

:P

Anyway, it really doesn't work well, I have just uploaded the files that show/make clear what the problem is.

The basic file is the following:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/ooaccen...bg-eps_test.sxw

Note:

- The file has accents on some characters.

- It has a nonstandard size (envelope size of what I happen to have)

- There is a background eps image (with tiff preview, no epsi, no lwz compression) in the file, which is here:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/addressbg.eps

From that, I print to file, which I normally wouldn't have, but anyway, this is ok: (apart from that I couldn't print to 'screen size' when selecting this real life printer and then postscript; with OOo1.0.2 it was possible to just print to pdf file and select 'screen' as the paper size)

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/ooaccen..._bg-eps_test.ps

What I needed/wanted was the proper pdf; what I got (export pdf, press quality) was this:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/ooaccen...bg-eps_test.pdf

Due to the accents, the next line drops off, so this is not usefull. When doing this I reduced the full firstname to the initial F. but then the second line with Résidence got annoying..... and besides, this should just work....

Note also that the pdf then printed to ps turns out like this:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/ooaccen...eps_test.pdf.ps

Where you can clearly see that the background address has become ugly / pixelised, as if only the preview tiff was used, not the eps/postscript that was behind it.

So, really, I call this a showstopper if anyone wants to claim 'easy pdf exporting' as a feature of OOo....

I'll be off to report this to those guys, I'm sure they will want to fix it asap.

;)

If it works for you, it should for me??  :o  

:P  

Hey i just meant what specific thing is wrong and that all the pdf's i have made have been alright not to say that your's should be as you hadn't said at the time what the problem was.

I don't use accented characters and have only tried jpg's for images so far with 1.1rc, the results for what i have done have been acceptable.

The one niggling problem I've had is telling OO to use my .openofice configs. I set the paths in the preferences, but it doesn't actually save or remember anything? Has anyone else got that to work?

Have you checked the perms on the files? Just a thought...