Go get OpenOffice.org 1.1rc and take back everything

Guest BooYah

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd better do what he says. It's quick, has lots of new features including pdf-export, has improved ms-office filters, the gui looks good without the need for changing ui fonts etc, and it hasn't faltered yet in the time i've used it and the beta2 before it.

Go on, take it back.

derxen

Now, if only someone created an rpm for mandrake so that I can use it..  That juergen fella posted in pclinuxonline that he created an athlon version, but when I went to his web page, it's blank.. grmbl grmbl.  :x
What do you need an rpm for?? The installer's a beauty!

Hi,

No it won't install over your old OO.o 1.02. It will install in a different directory /opt is the default I believe. You can run both till you are satisfied or not with the release canidate. I think that is why there are no rpms for Mandrake yet. It would cause a conflict with the old version. But like static said, the installer is great!! Super easy!

dalee

You have to uninstall your current version using Mandrake Control Centre > Software Management first.

The tar.gz actually works better than the rpm, because OpenOffice is made to have its files stored in its own directories, from where it serves users who have a smaller number of files in their home directory. So you kinda have to install twice, but it ain't hard, the instructions are pretty good.

The rpms are built to simplify installing it, and as a result OOo works but not at its best from the rpm.

The only trouble with using the tar.gz is that you will have to install the icons yourself then go into Menudrake to build the menus.

Actually it isn't difficult, but it takes a while.

I have to say, though, it's worth it!

I will have to download the new version and uninstall the earlier beta, but I will probably wait until the final release is out.

By the way, oooqs will find OOo and add a shortcut to your system tray! Even if you used the tar.gz!

Guest BooYah
That juergen fella posted in pclinuxonline that he created an athlon version, but when I went to his web page, it's blank.. grmbl grmbl.

I grabbed the pentium version before he they took it down. Unfortuntely it won't work for me becuase it needs glibc2.3 and ihave 2.2 on Mandrake 9.0.

If someone wants it, pm me and I'll send it. I imagine someone else here got the anthlon as well. The normal one is fast enough for me, though.

i see permission forbidden response. guess his college server wasn't happy with all the hits

Yeah, that guy's site was number one on google if you searched "OpenOffice 1.1".

Well, it was much better after I rebooted. (That's a little windowish!) At any rate, it is indeed much faster, and I like all the gui action they added. But it still won't read my mind and type the document I want! :wink:

Is that asking too much? :lol: