mandriva start up really really slow...

tetsujin29

Hi,

I am a newbie who is trying to install Mandriva on my desktop running windows XP. It is an emachine with Intel Celeron, 2ghz and 256 RAM. I downloaded Mandriva One and created an ISO-image boot disc. The installation starts smoothly, it prompts me for the language/time settings and if I want to use Metisse/Comp Fusion (I chose no 3D effects). Then the main desktop appeared and everything is sluggishly slow - the mouse cursor drags slowly and sometimes disappears and opening one window just takes forever. I don't have internet set-up yet (I haven't plugged the ethernet cable in the machine). I thought it was going to ask me about parititioning but it didn't.. Can someone help me identify the problem??

Thanks so much.

That doesn't sound like the installation to me! I think you were still running in 'LiveCD' mode. Running from the cd is always a bit sluggish as your ram is used a lot more. If you want to install to the harddrive (which will improve the speed) there is an icon on the desktop to start the process.