Razor Diamondback not working after boot

Beets

First off, I gotta say I'm a big fan of mandriva. Easy install, excellent hardware detection. It's running pretty much perfectly except a few minor issues.

One of which is my mouse. It's razor Diamondback and it works perfectly until I shut down the machine. I immediately noticed an issue the first time I shut my system down and the LEDs on the mouse stayed on. Then after starting the machine up I found the mouse was unresponsive so I unplugged it, waited a bit, and plugged it back in. Sure enough after a few seconds it started working again. I've been running for a while now, doing the un-re-plug and it's finally starting to get annoying. I haven't tried much yet, I'm pretty much a linux newb (installed a few distros but never really used them) so I don't really know where to begin.

I also have a Saitek USB keyboard that works fine every time.

I'm running an installation of the mandriva 2008.1 Live CD with all automatic updates installed.

After you first boot your system and the mouse is 'not' working, please open a terminal (konsole in KDE) and post the output (as user) of

dmesg |grep -i mouse

then post the output (as root) of

lsusb

Then unplug and plugin your mouse to start it working and again post the output (as user) of

dmesg |grep -i mouse

and (as root)

lsusb

Please note that I'm assuming that this is a USB mouse.

Welcome aboard! :)

Ok logged in and the mouse was working (it's done this a couple times after an update was installed). But I ran the commands anyway and found this (my mouse is apparently a copperhead, not a diamondback). Not sure if this is normal or what.

[unit@localhost ~]$ dmesg | grep -i mouse
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: Razer Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse as /class/input/input3
input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Razer Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse] on usb-0000:00:02.0-10
input: Razer Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse as /class/input/input4
input,hidraw4: USB HID v0.01 Keyboard [Razer Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse] on usb-0000:00:02.0-10
[unit@localhost ~]$ lsusb
bash: lsusb: command not found

And this:

[root@localhost unit]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 06a3:8000 Saitek PLC
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1532:0101
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:fc09 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
[root@localhost unit]#

Obviously the mouse is not listed, so I checked the options for lsusb and ran lsusb -v, it spit out a bunch of crap so I scrolled through and found this

Device Descriptor:
 bLength				18
 bDescriptorType		 1
 bcdUSB			   2.00
 bDeviceClass			0 (Defined at Interface level)
 bDeviceSubClass		 0
 bDeviceProtocol		 0
 bMaxPacketSize0		 8
 idVendor		   0x1532
 idProduct		  0x0101
 bcdDevice		   21.00
 iManufacturer		   1 Razer
 iProduct				2 Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse
 iSerial				 0
 bNumConfigurations	  1

Does the fact that the description of the mouse is not shown point to any issue?

Does the fact that the description of the mouse is not shown point to any issue?

Not really, because lsusb shows

and lsusb -v shows the same for the mouse.

It looks fine now. I guess just run the commands when it doesn't work again? :)

Ok will do. But unfortunately I have bigger badder problems at the moment. Immediately after posting that reply I shut down the computer to see if I could get the mouse to fail but I never got it started again. I think my power supply gave up the ghost :/

Yeah, I gotta do more testing before I run off and buy a power supply, time to dig up the old multimeter. Problem is I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.

On a side note, I looked at some supplies for the hell of it and good lord, when I bought my 510w supply it was huge now 500 is small? Are GPUs really eating that much power nowadays?

Depends on the video card. The rating on most power supplies is the max that it will provide. What you are looking for in a good power supply is the highest continuous wattage for the +12v rail.

I know that my desktop, running a Core2Duo, 3 sata hd's, an sata cd, and a 7600GS runs just fine on the 300W power supply that I have, but mine is rated 300W continuous, not max.

Ahh I see. My, hopefully not broke, PSU is a PC&P 510. IIRC PC&P rates all their supplies continuous. So your telling me that if it is in fact 510 continuous i'm way overpowering my AMD 3500/Nvidia 6800GT rig?