Cannot login

Guest gdr75fq

Guest gdr75fq

I just installed Mandrake. When I get to the desktop setup I setup the desktop and email through the wizard. Then the KDE menu strarts to load it gets to the gear icon (system configuration), and then the KDE menu disappears. Then the mouse (which is a watch and has been since the system configuration icon) just sits there over a blank blue screen. I can still press caps lock on the keyoard and the light works. Any help?

Could you give some more info, like computer type, motherboard, any other os on the machine, that sort of stuff? Also, have you canceled past the wizard and just allowed a default screen to load?

Guest gdr75fq

Thanks for the help. The computer has a pentium 4, the BIOS is setup right, and it has a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb card. I installed Mandrake and at the graphics configuration during installation I put ATI-radeon as the graphics card. I did not test it. I rebooted and got to the login screen. I tried to startx and it blinked and then posted an error message. I tried to log back in but it would not let me. It said during the HDA7 file check that there was an error. It only made it 33.1% through the test. I tried again and it did the same thing. I could not type any commands just words so I had to press the reboot button. I reinstalled Mandrake and put vesa as the video card. When I started x it gave me a graphic display with a desktop setup wizard. I chose the KDE and skipped the mail. It then started to boot the desktop. It got to the gear icon on the small KDE screen. Then the KDE screen disappeared and there was only a blue background. The mouse watch was still there. I waited about four minutes and nothing happened. I then pressed alt+ctrl+backspace and it took me out of the blue screen and to the black startup screen. It said that there was an error. I rebooted by pressing the button. It was the only way that I could reboot. Then I cut the computer back on and tried again. It checked the HDA7 files and did the same thing that it had done before. It stopped at 33.1%. I rebooted and opened windows.

The next time you boot, at lilo, hit the esc key and type "linux 3" at the prompt. This is a simple way to boot text mode. Once you get to a login, go ahead, log in, and type "startx".

Make note of the errors that it reports and tell us here what it says. Any time you are in text mode, type "reboot" or "poweroff", and it will obey!! :wink:

Guest gdr75fq

I rebooted linux and typed in linux 3 at the command screen. It took me to the boot and did the same thing that I mentioned above. It stopped working during hda7 file check at 33.1%. I tried it twice. I have tried to type reboot. It does not work though. After I type it and hit enter the cursor goes down to the next line which is blank. So I cannot get into the login screen. I am not sure what the error message said. It had xfree86 in it a couple of times.

Can you skip the file system check?

It almost sounds to me like there might be a problem with one of your partitions. How are your partitions layed out? (windows, /, /home...etc) The drive numbers might help too if you know them. For example, what partition is hda7?

Guest gdr75fq

I don't think that you can skip it. It is not like the file system integrity check which gives you an option. It automatically starts. Unless there is a command then I don't think so. I do not think that it is a problem with the partitions. I think that the it is with the video setup. I think that the problem was caused when I tried to log in. It could have caused a problem with the system. I am not sure though. I do not know what partition is 7 is. The mandrake partition manager automatically configured it during installation.

Well, from that message it looks like /dev/hda7 is your root partition. I don't know of a way to get around that check, but I know that it was caused by something running on that partition when you hit the reset button. Does anyone else out here know how we can get around this problem?

I don't want to give you the standard windows solution to a problem like this, there has to be a way to get it fixed.

hehe...i have a work around :twisted:

login at the text login (as regular user)

do:

vi .xinitrc

this may have one line, saying startkde probably

remove the startkde line, change it to gnome-session (this is done by pressing i to enter insert mode, deleting the line with backspace or deleted, presseing esc to exit insert mode, the :wq and enter to write and quit)

startx

does gnome start? (if so then we know it's KDE that's screwing up)

I think that the problem is that he can't get to the login. He has a partition problem. Next bet is to boot from the Install cd and use a rescue, chroot to access the system after boot up, and then see what is going on!

Really, if this is a new install and nothing needs to be saved, I would reinstall, but I would do a thorough examination of the drive before proceeding. Given the details so far, I am suspecting a bad sector on the drive.

I think that the problem is that he can't get to the login.
oh, i got confused...damn it...i need to stop posting to shortly after i wake up. :oops:
Really, if this is a new install and nothing needs to be saved, I would reinstall, but I would do a thorough examination of the drive before proceeding. Given the details so far, I am suspecting a bad sector on the drive.
After re-reading, I suspect the same. how old is this hard drive? have you had any problems with it previously? what kind of hard drive is it? does the vendors website have a utility for checking it?

Just a thought, you might want to try the SysRq sequence. This might force the drives to be cleanly unmounted, which means that after the reboot, you won't face the forced filesystem check. You can find info on SysRq all over the board, but basically, it's:

<Alt>+<SysRq> (Possibly "Print Screen" on your keyboard)

+R - Raw keyboard input

+S - Sync discs

+E - tErminate processes

+I - kIll processes

+U - Unmount disks & remount read only

+B - reBoot

Other than that, fire up a rescue disk and run the check manually without the autofix.

i realize i'm a NOOb, but i had the exact same problem when i first installed MDK. (booted up, set up desktop, mail info, started to load, got the gear icon, then poof......blue screen with the timer/mouse icon going in an endless loop & the desktop (KDE) never loads) it turned out to be a monitor/video card problem. i have a ATI RagePro Mach64 card. there's drivers for that model listed in the MDK setup, so i chose those during MDK setup. it turned out that i needed to use ATI Rage Pro (Utah) drivers. also, i had to reset my refresh rate down from 60hz to 56hz & my resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600. after doing that, it booted into the desktop. to check that, after i was able to get to KDE, i used MCC & tried resetting the refresh rate & resolution. each time i did that, i got the same blue screen when booting. for some reason MDK wouldn't let me use those settings, even though they work fine under Window$. so, have you tried resetting any of those things yet?

Chris