Nvidia driver install + Gforce 6100 nForce 430

camorri

O.K. call me stupid. Yes I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, its broke now.

I'm running Mandriva 2008 and uname -a reports kernel 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv. This is on a dual core Gigabyte system.

lspci reports the video adapter as nVidia Corporation 6100 nForce 430 (rev a2).

A little background. I just installed Slack 12.1 on the machine I'm inputing this on. It has a much older nVidia chip set. I followed ( in the Slackware section of the forum ) how to set up Slackware on a new system. It worked well, so well I though I would look at my main Mandriva system, and see if I could improve the Video. From the nVidia icon, it looked like direct rendering was not running. I had read ( on this board ) new nVidia drivers were just released. So I downloaded it. The file was NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg.run.

I went to init 3 and installed. The x-server would not start. Got a message 'API Mismatch Nvidia kernel 173.14.09 and Driver 173.14.12.

So I wondered if I had the correct kernel source installed. Did a urpmi kernel-source-2.6.22.18-1mdv and it installed.

Re-ran the install of the nVidia driver, still get the mismatch message.

I find the nVidia site difficult to figure out which is the correct driver to download and install. I did read the 'README' file in the instructions, and the list of supported cards, and chip sets. It lists several 6100's but not an exact match on the nForce part. So, I may well have the wrong driver for my chip set.

First question, which is the correct file to install for gForce6100 nForce 430 (reva2) ?

Second, do I now have the correct kernel source installed? ( I think I do, how do I verify it ).

Also tried to get back to the drivers that came with Mandriva, ran XFdrake, but couldn't figure out how to get back to the way it was, before I messed with it.

Suggestions please...

I have GForce 6200 and use no newest driver

glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.3
OpenGL version string: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 96.43.05

.....Lex

Lex,

Are you telling me it is a waste of time to update? You may be correct. Problem is my systems xserver will not start due to the API mismatch.

I have been searching around, including the Nvidia wiki. Some interesting info there. It appears if you have proprietory drivers installed, as I do with Mandriva 2008, you have to uninstall them before you can use the latest drivers from Nvidia. There are threads there that tell you how to fix a Ubuntu system and Red Hat ( Fedora ). I havn't found out how to remove the Nvidia stuff from Mandriva, or how to restore the Mandrivas drivers. They worked before I tried to install the driver form Nvidia.

To restore the video to its original status, you will need to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Look for the device section and change "nvidia" to "nv"

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corp."

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Option "NvAGP" "3"

Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"

Option "RenderAccel" "0"

EndSection

Then you will need to reboot.

Upgrade Your system to MDV 2008 spring, look here

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....d=6&id=1753

I have nevest drivers NVIDIA

glxinfo | grep version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.3
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12

install with problems!

....Lex

Edited by Lexicon

Some success, but I don't have a working desktop, yet.

I copied the oldest backup file I had, and edited that file. I changed 'Driver nvidia' to 'Driver nv'. That has helped, I no longer get the API mismatch message.

When I startx, I get a blue screen, with mouse pointer, and the blue circle of dots going around the mouse pointer. The mouse pointer moves with the mouse. I never get a desktop. After about a minute, the blue screen disappears, and the command window is left. I have a message at the bottom, "Failed to initialize GLX extension ( Compatible X driver not found )".

I tried commenting out in the Modules section GLX, but it still failed. I had the 3d cube running before I messed with the Nvidia drivers. I remember when I got 3d going, I had to use the proprietary drivers, and I edited xorg.conf. I have not found out, yet what to remove to get rid of 3d. I don't think it works with the 'nv' driver.

Once I get the desktop back, I plan on updating to 2008 spring. I havn't looked into that yet. So 3d for now can go away...

Here is my xorg.conf file, I know it is not right, could someone help me get it so I can load a regular desktop???

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 239302)

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite"
EndSection
# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
#DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Acer"
ModelName "Acer AL1911"
HorizSync 24.0-80.0
VertRefresh 56.0-75.0

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX and later"
Driver "nv"
Option "DPMS"
Option "RenderAccel" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 8
	Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 15
	Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "480x360" "320x240"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 16
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

I also ran XFdrake as root. That works now. I get the rainbow of colours on the screen at the correct resolution.

I will continue to try to fix this file, I don't want to re-install if I can avoid it.

Edited by camorri

Yahoooooooo, I found out how to disable GLX. As root from the command line I ran

drakxconf to reset the display device config

Did a startx, voila! Success.

A big thank-you to those that helped.

Now, on to an upgrade to spring.