How to Install KDE 4.1 in Mandriva

Guest teeman

Guest teeman

Could anyone tell me how to install KDE 4.1 on Mandriva in very simple steps.

urpmi isn't working because 4.1 doesn't yet show on any of my sources.

I have downloaded rpm packages, but kdebase4-workspace failed to install because missing dependencies.

I thought I could install from source, but when downloaded the source for kdebase4-workspace, there were no instructions in the folder about how to install. I tried cmake . which did something but bombed out complaining about missing dependencies.

I am jealous that some linux flavours already have instructions on how to install when there is nothing yet for Mandriva. ----------

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

This is how I done gone and did it. Very Simple. :)

1. Copy : "urpmi.addmedia --update kde4 ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/...PMS/i586/" in a terminal.

(http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/4.1.0/Mandriva/ is a list or mirrors, if the above isn't working).

2. Open Control Centre, Software management. Install 'KDEBASE4' and wait for it to do its thing.

3. Log out and Log into KDE 4.1.

Seems to work for me. Although there's probably a better way. :D

Guest teeman

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot :thumbs: cwhobbes. The solution could not be simpler. However, for those who prefer GUI than command line, here is how you can add an installation source.

1. Install and Remove Software

2. Options -> Media Manager

3. Options -> Add a Custom Media

4. Type of Medium: HTTP server

* Medium name: kde41

* URL: ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/...riva/RPMS/i586/

* OK

+ don't bother ticking any boxes. If the url specified doen't work, just choose another mirror until you find one that works. Do I need to repeat cwhobbes that you need to install kdebase4 once you have successfully added your source, and then wait for it to do its magic.

1. Copy : "urpmi.addmedia --update kde4 ftp://ftp.oregonstate.edu/pub/kde/stable/...PMS/i586/" in a terminal.

(http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/4.1.0/Mandriva/ is a list or mirrors, if the above isn't working).

2. Open Control Centre, Software management. Install 'KDEBASE4' and wait for it to do its thing.

3. Log out and Log into KDE 4.1.

Seems to work for me. Although there's probably a better way. :D

Hi all:

I did this using gatech.ga.edu and did the install of KDEBASE4. Answered a few questions about which versions of some files to use (I picked the latest ones) and went on with the install. Not only did I log out, but also rebooted. Got to the login screen, selected KDE4 as session and logged in. A message came up saying "...couldn't start kstartupconfig4, please check your install."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy3011