Installing mandriva

DC_FC79

That is like asking "Do I need insurance?"

If nothing goes wrong then no you don't need to (I very rarely do it).

But if something does go wrong, and it is the download that is at fault, then you will have saved yourself an awful lot of time by just checking the md5 sum before you burn and install it.

Your call really.

Good luck with it anyway it is a very good distro.

Edited by viking777

That is like asking "Do I need insurance?"

If nothing goes wrong then no you don't need to (I very rarely do it).

But if something does go wrong, and it is the download that is at fault, then you will have saved yourself an awful lot of time by just checking the md5 sum before you burn and install it.

Your call really.

Good luck with it anyway it is a very good distro.

id managed to find 1 for linux but didnt have much luck in fidning 1 for mandriva

Edited by DC_FC79

Mandriva is just one of many different distributions (or "flavors") of Linux. You can usually find the md5sum file in the same directory as the dvd or cd isos on the ftp tree. It will have the exact same name as the regular iso, but it will have .md5 as the file extension.

Mandriva is just one of many different distributions (or "flavors") of Linux. You can usually find the md5sum file in the same directory as the dvd or cd isos on the ftp tree. It will have the exact same name as the regular iso, but it will have .md5 as the file extension.

ok thanks, but whats the ftp tree, ive downloaded the iso for mandriva and theres a picture of a cd with iso written in front of it

The ftp tree would be where you downloaded that iso from. That iso is ready to be burned to a cd (as an image, not just as the file) and you can most likely use it just fine. The md5sum would help you to check and see if the file you downloaded matches the size of the file that was created for distribution by Mandriva.

The ftp tree would be where you downloaded that iso from. That iso is ready to be burned to a cd (as an image, not just as the file) and you can most likely use it just fine. The md5sum would help you to check and see if the file you downloaded matches the size of the file that was created for distribution by Mandriva.

So ill just burn the iso to dvd and install it then