Upgade to 9

3lade

Throughout the betas and rc's, I never upgrade. I always preserve my /home partition and format all other partitions. This way I don't have to deal with first-time wizards, mail settings or preferences on anything. Also I get a cleaner install than an upgrade would give me (except for preferences for some programs). If everything is set the way you like it and you keep any extra programs you added in a folder in your /home/whoever directory, it's a good idea to fresh install like me.

Not real helpful, I know, but good advice nonetheless. :)

There are tons of things changed between version 8.2 and 9.0. The compiler and library change alone can break tons of compatibilities. Added with X Desktop change (kde2 to kde3 and gnome1.4 to gnome2) and you can receive tons of problems in upgrading, even for package only upgrading.

So like Afrosheen said, better keep your /home in separate partition, backup the data you know you'll need (such as /var/www/html and your sql directory) and clean install from scratch, restore the needed files, and voila.. a brand new, clean, sparkling, and hassle free linux environment.

how long would the .iso's take on 56k?  An estimation here.

I remember getting a copy of RH on a 56k and days per iso would be a safe assumption. Head over to cheapbytes and see if they have it would be a better idea.

Guest moorejo

Hi,

I went through the upgrade (not upgrade only RPMs, but a full upgrade) and I'm having problems. First, I can't start an XWindow session for any user except root. Wait, I take that back, I cant start XWindows with Gnome for any user except root. I was able to get an XWindow session open using IceWM. Here is my .xsession-errors:

_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

SESSION_MANAGER=local/lightning.john-m-moore.com:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3278

Loaded background '0x8089780

** (gnome-session:3278): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Arial 10

** (gnome-session:3278): WARNING **: Cannot open fallback font, nothing to do

I've gone through all the font directories and Arial is there (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf) so I'm not sure what could be going on here. This has been really annoying and I would like to get if fixed. If anyone has any suggestions. Oh, BTW, my /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows no errors, so it's no help.

I'm also having one other problem, not so serious, but also annoying. When I boot up, 2 dhcpcd processes launch. This isn't that big of a deal, except that it's confusing my DNS server so certain things fail, like NFS. Anyway, if anyone has an idea what is causing this, all suggestions are welcome. BTW, this was happening in Mandrake 9rc3. Thanks all.

John

how long would the .iso's take on 56k? An estimation here.
I just did it.....in my sleep :P ....well mostly. CD1 and 2 are about 35 to 40 hrs each,and CD3 was about 24(I think). This is at 6kb/sec. I finished CD3 today, but installed with CD 1 and 2 two days ago. It was well worth it! I would have them yet if I bought them, and I can't buy them because I haven't found work for 4 mths. I wasn't about to wait til I found a job, and caught up on bills.....9.1 would be out :P

Right, in the past I have always formatted and installed fresh (I have a separate /home) but this time I upgraded to save the hassel and it worked fine. The only thing that I noticed was how much longer it took.

Oh and of course some dependencies were broken, but I can fix those.

Wow bvc, you are very patient.
I see how you could think that but, I look at it like this. If I didn't download, had money to buy and did, I'd still be waiting on mail delivery. :P Besides you didn't see me pacing the room and giving the modem a pep talk during CD3 :lol: :oops: